Role of Centchroman in Regression of Mastalgia and Fibroadenoma
- 258 Downloads
Centchroman (Ormeloxifene) is a novel non-steroidal, selective antiestrogen. Because of its selective antiestrogen action, centchroman has been used for treatment of mastalgia and fibroadenoma.
Materials and Methods
Benign breast disease patients up to 35 years of age attending our surgery outpatient department from August 2003 to September 2004 and fulfilling the inclusion criterion were included in this study. They were started on centchroman 30 mg on alternate days for a period of 3 months and were followed up for 6 months. Results were recorded as per clinical examination, visual analog scale (VAS) for pain, and ultrasonography for breast lump size.
A total of 60 patients were included in this pilot study, 42 (70%) of whom had mastalgia with or without nodularity, and 18 (30%) had fibroadenoma. Noncyclical pain was recorded in 38 patients (90%), and cyclical pain was recorded in only 4 (10%) patients. A VAS score of 10 was recorded by 33 (80%) patients (severe pain), and the remaining 9 patients (20%) had VAS scores from 7 to 10. Fibroadenoma size ranged from 1.5 to 5 cm., single or multiple in one or both breasts. There was a good response in the mastalgia group, with a decrease in the VAS scoring from 10 to 3 in 90 % of the patients in the first week. Almost all of the patients were painless at the end of one month, with complete disappearance of the nodularity. In the fibroadenoma group there was a mixed response, with complete disappearence in 40%, partial regression in 20%, and no response at all in the remaining 40%. There were very few side effects.
Centchroman is a safe nonsteroidal drug for the treatment of mastalgia and fibroadenoma. It has shown good results in mastalgia and is a safe drug as compared to the drugs of choice used at present (danazole and bromocriptine). Further randomized studies are in progress and are needed to determine its definitive role in this patient group.
KeywordsBromocriptine Visual Analog Scale Score Danazol Benign Breast Disease Breast Pain
- 3.Hughes LE, Mansel RE, Webster DJT (2000) Breast pain nodularity. In Hughes LE, Mansell RE, Webster DJT, editors, Benign Disorders and Diseases of the Breast: Concepts and Clinical Management, 2nd Edition, London, W. B. Saunders Company, 95–121Google Scholar
- 5.Preece PE, Richards AR, Owen GM, et al. (1975) Mastalgia and total body water. BMJ iv:498–500Google Scholar
- 19.Boyd NF, Maguire V, Shannon P, et al. (1989) A clinical trial of low fat high carbohydrate diet in patients with cyclical mastalgia. Breast Cancer Res Treat 10:117Google Scholar
- 28.Asch RH, Greenblatt RB (1971) The use of an impeded androgen Danazol in the management of benign breast disorders. Am J Obstet Gynecol 127:130–134Google Scholar
- 29.Mansel RE, Wisbey JR, Hughes LE (1982) Controlled trial of the antigonadotrophin danazol in painful nodular benign breast disease. Lancet 928–931Google Scholar
- 36.Mansel RE (1981) A review of the role of bromocriptine in symptomatic benign breast disease. Res Clin Forum 3:61–63Google Scholar
- 39.Lawrence WB, Valerie PJ (1997) Diagnosis of Diseases of the Breast, 1st Edition, Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders Company, 385Google Scholar
- 41.Vivani RS, Gebrim LH, Baracat EC, De Lima GR (2002) Evaluation of the ultrasonographic volume of breast fibroadenomas in women treated with tamoxifen. Minerva Gynecol 54:531–535Google Scholar
- 42.Kamboj VP, Ray S, Dhawan BN (1992) Centchroman. Drugs Today 28:227–232Google Scholar
- 43.Kamboj VP, Kar AB, Ray S, Grover PK, Anand N (1971) Antifertility activity of 3,4-trans-2,2-dimethyl-3-phenyl-4-p(β-pyrrolidinoethoxy)-phenyl-7 methoxychroman. Indian J Exp Biol 9:103–104Google Scholar
- 46.Datta JK, Roy S (1977) Effect of centchroman on morphological and biochemical changes induced by testosterone propionate in uterus of rats. Indian J Exp Biol 15:1157–1158Google Scholar