Dual mobility hip arthroplasty provides better outcomes compared to hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures: a retrospective comparative clinical study
- 615 Downloads
Total hip arthroplasty with a dual mobility cup (DMC) is a proposed alternative to the widely performed bipolar hemiarthroplasty (BHA) for treating displaced intracapsular femoral neck fractures (DFNF) in the elderly. However, the comparison between the two modalities has not been extensively conducted thus far.
A retrospective cohort study was conducted with DFNF patients aged over 65 years who were treated either by BHA or DMC. After propensity matching each group comprised 84 patients (168 patients in total) and was analyzed using peri-operative and post-operative parameters.
Mean follow-up durations were 22.1 and 21.7 months in the BHA and DMC groups, respectively. The BHA group demonstrated significantly less intra-operative blood loss (p = 0.001) and a shorter length of operation (p < 0.001). However, there was no difference in one-year mortality (p = 0.773). The Harris hip score (HHS) was significantly higher (p = 0.018) in the DMC group. The dislocation rate was not different between the two groups (p = 1.000).
In DFNF patients aged over 65 years, short-term observation showed DMC to be the preferred treatment over BHA with better clinical outcome, without disadvantages in mortality or dislocation rate. Further long-term investigations are recommended to strengthen these results.
KeywordsFemoral neck fracture Hip arthroplasty Hemiarthroplasty Dual mobility cup Dislocation Harris hip score
Compliance with ethical standards
This research did not receive any support or grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors. All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest. Institutional Review Board approval was obtained, and the study was in compliance with the Declaration of Helsinki.
- 8.Burgers PTPW, Van Geene AR, Van den Bekerom MPJ et al (2012) Total hip arthroplasty versus hemiarthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in the healthy elderly: a meta-analysis and systematic review of randomized trials. Int Orthop 36:1549–1560. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-012-1569-7 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Zhao Y, Fu D, Chen K et al (2014) Outcome of hemiarthroplasty and total hip replacement for active elderly patients with displaced femoral neck fractures: a meta-analysis of 8 randomized clinical trials. PLoS One 9:e98071. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0098071 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.Bousquet G, Gazielly DF, Debiesse JL et al (1985) The ceramic coated cementless total hip arthroplasty: basic concepts and surgical technique. J Orthop Surg Tech 1:15–28Google Scholar
- 12.Meek RMD, Allan DB, McPhillips G et al (2006) Epidemiology of dislocation after total hip Arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 447:9–18. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.blo.0000218754.12311.4a CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Philippot R, Camilleri JP, Boyer B et al (2009) The use of a dual-articulation acetabular cup system to prevent dislocation after primary total hip arthroplasty: analysis of 384 cases at a mean follow-up of 15 years. Int Orthop 33:927–932. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-008-0589-9 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Adam P, Philippe R, Ehlinger M et al (2012) Dual mobility cups hip arthroplasty as a treatment for displaced fracture of the femoral neck in the elderly. A prospective, systematic, multicenter study with specific focus on postoperative dislocation. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 98:296–300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2012.01.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.van den Bekerom MPJ, Hilverdink EF, Sierevelt IN et al (2010) A comparison of hemiarthroplasty with total hip replacement for displaced intracapsular fracture of the femoral neck: a randomised controlled multicentre trial in patients aged 70 years and over. J Bone Joint Surg Br 92:1422–1428. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.92B10.24899 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Blomfeldt R, Törnkvist H, Eriksson K et al (2007) A randomised controlled trial comparing bipolar hemiarthroplasty with total hip replacement for displaced intracapsular fractures of the femoral neck in elderly patients. J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:160–165. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.89B2 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar