Return to the operating room after patellofemoral arthroplasty versus total knee arthroplasty for isolated patellofemoral arthritis—a systematic review
- 22 Downloads
Patellofemoral arthroplasty (PFA) and total knee arthroplasty (TKA) are accepted treatments for end-stage isolated patellofemoral osteoarthritis (PFOA). However, complications and re-operations have historically differed between the two procedures. We performed a systematic review to report on the re-operation rates between TKA and modern PFA for isolated PFOA.
Systematically identified publications reporting on patients that underwent either TKA or modern PFA for isolated PFOA were reviewed. Meta-analysis software was used to screen potential articles with at least one year follow-up that detailed reasons for re-operation. Data was extracted and analyzed for all re-operations. Survival of the implant was used as the primary outcome; return to the operating room (OR) for any reason was used as a secondary outcome.
The weighted rate of either conversion or revision arthroplasty in the PFA group and the TKA group was 6.34 and 0.11, respectively. The weighted rate of return to the OR for bony and soft tissue procedures was 1.06 and 0.79, respectively. The weighted rate of manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA) was 0.32 and 1.23, respectively.
Patients who undergo PFA may be more likely to return to the operating room for conversion to TKA and/or revision surgery than those who undergo TKA.
KeywordsIsolated patellofemoral arthritis Isolated patellofemoral replacement Total knee replacment
We are grateful to Kara Fields for her assistance in the statistical analysis.
This study was partially funded by the generous donation of Mr. Glenn Bergenfield, the Sidney Milton and Leoma Simon Foundation, and by Ms. Elizabeth Kim.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Ackroyd CE, Chir B (2005) Development and early results of a new patellofemoral arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 436:7–13 https://hsskbml.tdnetdiscover.com/logging/outgoing?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdoi.org%2F10.1097%2F01.blo.0000171914.94503.d1&key=6b8bd577-e92a-461a-bcaf-34fe5f4eec74 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Butler JE, Shannon R (2009) Patellofemoral arthroplasty with a custom-fit femoral prosthesis. Orthopedics 32:81Google Scholar
- 6.Kazarian GS, Tarity TD, Hansen EN, Cai J, Lonner JH (2016) Significant functional improvement at 2 years after isolated patellofemoral arthroplasty with an onlay trochlear implant, but low mental health scores predispose to dissatisfaction. J Arthroplast 31:389–394. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2015.08.033 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Al-Hadithy N, Patel R, Navadgi B, Deo S, Hollinghurst D, Satish V (2014) Mid-term results of the FPV patellofemoral joint replacement. Knee 21:138–141 https://hsskbml.tdnetdiscover.com/logging/outgoing?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdoi.org%2F10.1016%2Fj.knee.2013.08.010&key=3347400b-fd9c-41a5-b9a7-6c45d42e26a4 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Benazzo F, Rossi SMP, Ghiara M (2014) Partial knee arthroplasty: patellofemoral arthroplasty and combined unicompartmental and patellofemoral arthroplasty implants - general considerations and indications, technique and clinical experience. Knee 21:S43–S46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0968-0160(14)50009-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Dahm DL, Al-Rayashi W, Dajani K, Shah JP, Levy BA, Stuart MJ (2010) Patellofemoral arthroplasty versus total knee arthroplasty in patients with isolated patellofemoral osteoarthritis. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 39:487–491Google Scholar
- 18.Odgaard A, Madsen F, Kristensen PW, Kappel A, Fabrin J (2018) The Mark Coventry Award: patellofemoral arthroplasty results in better range of movement and early patient-reported outcomes than TKA. Clin Orthop Relat Res 476:87–100. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999.0000000000000017 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Romagnoli S, Marullo M (2017) Mid-term clinical, functional, and radiographic outcomes of 105 gender-specific patellofemoral arthroplasties, with or without the association of medial unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplast 33:688–695. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2017.10.019 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Willekens P, Victor J, Verbruggen D, vande Kerckhove M, van der Straeten C (2015) Outcome of patellofemoral arthroplasty, determinants for success. Acta Orthop Belg 81:759–767Google Scholar
- 31.Laskin RS, van Steijn M (1999) Total knee replacement for patients with patellofemoral arthritis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 367:89–95 https://hsskbml.tdnetdiscover.com/logging/outgoing?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdoi.org%2F10.2106%2F00004623-200211000-00011&key=6e24fcfe-b19f-4d69-b831-3270dde81a4f Google Scholar
- 32.Parvizi J, Stuart MJ, Pagnano MW, Hanssen AD (2001) Total knee arthroplasty in patients with isolated patellofemoral arthritis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 392:147–152 https://hsskbml.tdnetdiscover.com/logging/outgoing?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdoi.org%2F10.1097%2F00003086-200111000-00018&key=dc498da6-819e-4256-8878-63e9fa1a5fb2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Dalury DF (2005) Total knee replacement for patellofemoral disease. J Knee Surg 18:274–277 https://hsskbml.tdnetdiscover.com/logging/outgoing?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdoi.org%2F10.1055%2Fs-0030-1248191&key=e4253002-f01c-4620-8269-67a7c0e51d74 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Blazina ME, Fox JM, Del Pizzo W, Broukhim B, Ivey FM (1979) Patellofemoral replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res 144:98–102 https://hsskbml.tdnetdiscover.com/logging/outgoing?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdoi.org%2F10.1097%2F00003086-197910000-00017&key=acc4a148-0b9f-44a9-b376-3c77a03005a0 Google Scholar
- 38.Lonner JH (2017) Patellofemoral arthroplasty: an evolving science. Instr Course Lect 66:211–221Google Scholar
- 40.Lonner JH (2010) Patellofemoral arthroplasty. Orthopedics 33(653). https://doi.org/10.3928/01477447-20100722-39
- 41.Dy CJ, Franco N, Ma Y, Mazumdar M, McCarthy MM, Gonzalez Della Valle A (2012) Complications after patello-femoral versus total knee replacement in the treatment of isolated patello-femoral osteoarthritis. A meta-analysis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 20:2174–2190. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-011-1677-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG (2009) Reprint—preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. Phys Ther 89:873–880 https://hsskbml.tdnetdiscover.com/logging/outgoing?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdoi.org%2F10.1093%2Fptj%2F89.9.873&key=0b780b00-d83b-46c9-a831-f1535aadaa2a Google Scholar
- 44.Merchant AC (2005) A modular prosthesis for patellofemoral arthroplasty: design and initial results. Clin Orthop Relat Res 436:40–46 https://hsskbml.tdnetdiscover.com/logging/outgoing?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdoi.org%2F10.1097%2F01.blo.0000171917.47869.6c&key=778c3a49-d78a-4008-aec2-1671fa68c006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 48.Feucht MJ, Cotic M, Beitzel K, Baldini JF, Meidinger G, Schöttle PB et al (2017) A matched-pair comparison of inlay and onlay trochlear designs for patellofemoral arthroplasty: no differences in clinical outcome but less progression of osteoarthritis with inlay designs. Knee Surgery Sport Traumatol Arthrosc 25:2784–2791. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-015-3733-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 49.Laursen JO (2017) High mid-term revision rate after treatment of large, full-thickness cartilage lesions and OA in the patellofemoral joint using a large inlay resurfacing prosthesis: HemiCAP-Wave®. Knee Surgery, Sport Traumatol Arthrosc 25:3856–3861. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-016-4352-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 54.The National Joint Registry for England and Wales (2015) Annual report. http://www.njrreports.org.uk/Portals/0/PDFdownloads/NJR%2012th%20Annual%20Report%202015.pdf. Accessed 1 May 2018
- 55.National Joint Replacement Registry—Australian Orthopaedic Association (2017) Annual Report. https://aoanjrr.sahmri.com/documents/10180/397736/Hip%2C%20Knee%20%26%20Shoulder%20Arthroplasty. Accessed 1 May 2018
- 57.Chawla H, Nwachukwu BU, van der List JP, Pearle AD, Ghomrawi HM (2017) Cost effectiveness of patellofemoral versus total knee arthroplasty in young patients. Bone Joint J 99-5:1028–1036. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.99B8.BJJ-2016-1032.R1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar