Pooled outcome of total hip arthroplasty with the CementLess Spotorno (CLS) system: a comparative analysis of clinical studies and worldwide arthroplasty register data
- 313 Downloads
Our aim was to elucidate the pooled outcome of the CementLess Spotorno (CLS) system in total hip arthroplasty (THA).
We compared the outcome of clinical inventor studies, independent clinical studies, and worldwide register data. The main endpoints for analysis were revision rates.
Twenty clinical studies were evaluated and, with one exception, overall found revision rates largely in line with register data. Revision rates (revisions per 100 observed component years) range from 0.15 (inventor study) to 0.28 (independent studies) and 0.43 (register datasets).
Data of journal publications and register datasets using the CLS system do not differ significantly with respect to revision rates. Only the initial inventor study reports a revision rate three times lower than in pooled worldwide register datasets.
KeywordsRevision Rate Inventor Study Arthroplasty Register Register Dataset Joint Replacement Registry
- 1.Labek G, on behalf of the QoLA Study Group. Quality of publications regarding the outcome of revision rate after arthroplasty—interim report of the QoLA Project presented at the EFORT Congress 2010 in Madrid. http://www.ear.efort.org/. Accessed 26 February 2013
- 14.Stafilas K, Kitsoulis P, Zaharis K, Xenakis T (2003) Total hip arthroplasty with uncemented CLS Spotorno Stem for dysplastic or congenitally dislocated hips in adults. A long-term follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg 85-B(SUPP III):225Google Scholar
- 21.MacDonald A, Mutimer J, Ross A (2004) 10-years results of cementless total hip arthroplasty in young patients using the CLS Spotorno stem and Morscher cup. J Bone Joint Surg Br 86-B(SUPP III)Google Scholar
- 25.Anonymous. EFORT-portal. http://www.ear.efort.org/registers.aspx. Accessed 26 February 2013.
- 26.Anonymous. Annual Report 2004–2010. AOA-National Joint Replacement Registry. http://www.dmac.adelaide.edu.au/aoanjrr/publications.jsp?section=reports2010. Accessed 26 February 2013.