Percutaneous vertebroplasty versus balloon kyphoplasty for treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture: a meta-analysis of randomised and non-randomised controlled trials
- 584 Downloads
There is still debate over whether vertebroplasty (VP) or kyphoplasty (KP) is superior for the treatment of osteoporosis vertebral compression fractures (VCFs). We performed a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised and non-randomised controlled trials comparing VP with KP to reach a relatively conclusive answer.
We searched computerised databases comparing efficacy and safety of VP and KP in osteoporotic fractures. These trials reported pain relief (Visual Analogue Scale), disability (Oswestry disability score) and complications (i.e., cement leakage, incident fractures) as the primary outcome.
Eight studies involving 848 patients were identified. The outcome showed that VP is more effective in the short-term (no more than seven days) pain relief. Kyphoplasty had a superior capability for intermediate-term (around three months) functional improvement. As for long-term pain relief and functional improvement, there is no significant difference between these two interventions. Consistently, both interventions have similar risk for subsequent fracture and cement leakage.
Thus considering the higher cost of the KP procedure, we recommend VP over KP for the treatment of osteoporotic VCFs.
KeywordsWeighted Mean Difference Vertebral Compression Fracture Subsequent Fracture Visual Analogue Scale Pain Score Cement Leakage
Vertebral compression fractures
Randomised controlled trials
Non-randomised controlled trials
Clinical controlled trials
Visual analog scale
Oswestry disability score
Weighted mean difference
The intent of this statement is to display our idea on osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture. All the authors state that there are no outside grants in support of this research this work. There is no financial and personal relationships with other people or organisations that could inappropriately influence (bias) our work.
- 2.Harris ST, Watts NB, Genant HK, McKeever CD, Hangartner T, Keller M, Chesnut CH 3rd, Brown J, Eriksen EF, Hoseyni MS, Axelrod DW, Miller PD (1999) Effects of risedronate treatment on vertebral and nonvertebral fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis: a randomized controlled trial. Vertebral Efficacy With Risedronate Therapy (VERT) Study Group. JAMA 282(14):1344–1352PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Klazen CA, Lohle PN, de Vries J, Jansen FH, Tielbeek AV, Blonk MC, Venmans A, van Rooij WJ, Schoemaker MC, Juttmann JR, Lo TH, Verhaar HJ, van der Graaf Y, van Everdingen KJ, Muller AF, Elgersma OE, Halkema DR, Fransen H, Janssens X, Buskens E, Mali WP (2010) Vertebroplasty versus conservative treatment in acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (Vertos II): an open-label randomised trial. Lancet 376(9746):1085–1092. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60954-3 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Wardlaw D, Cummings SR, Van Meirhaeghe J, Bastian L, Tillman JB, Ranstam J, Eastell R, Shabe P, Talmadge K, Boonen S (2009) Efficacy and safety of balloon kyphoplasty compared with non-surgical care for vertebral compression fracture (FREE): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 373(9668):1016–1024. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60010-6 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.De Negri P, Tirri T, Paternoster G, Modano P (2007) Treatment of painful osteoporotic or traumatic vertebral compression fractures by percutaneous vertebral augmentation procedures: a nonrandomized comparison between vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty. Clin J Pain 23(5):425–430. doi: 10.1097/AJP.0b013e31805593be PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Liu JT, Liao WJ, Tan WC, Lee JK, Liu CH, Chen YH, Lin TB (2010) Balloon kyphoplasty versus vertebroplasty for treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture: a prospective, comparative, and randomized clinical study. Osteoporos Int 21(2):359–364. doi: 10.1007/s00198-009-0952-8 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Rollinghoff M, Siewe J, Zarghooni K, Sobottke R, Alparslan Y, Eysel P, Delank KS (2009) Effectiveness, security and height restoration on fresh compression fractures—a comparative prospective study of vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty. Minim Invasive Neurosurg 52(5–6):233–237. doi: 10.1055/s-0029-1243631 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Lovi A, Teli M, Ortolina A, Costa F, Fornari M, Brayda-Bruno M (2009) Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty: complementary techniques for the treatment of painful osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. A prospective non-randomised study on 154 patients. Eur Spine J 18(Suppl 1):95–101. doi: 10.1007/s00586-009-0986-9 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar