Successful treatment with Ipilimumab and Interleukin-2 in two patients with metastatic melanoma and systemic autoimmune disease
- 657 Downloads
Two patients were treated with immunotherapy for metastatic malignant melanoma (MM) despite suffering from systemic autoimmune disease, i.e., ulcerative colitis (UC) and Behcets disease (BD), respectively. Both patients benefitted from the treatment. The patient with UC achieved partial remission of all measurable parameters after treatment with Ipilimumab, while the patient with BD achieved a complete remission of MM after treatment with Interleukin-2 (IL-2) and Interferon-α (IFN-α). Moreover, no aggravation of symptoms related to the autoimmune diseases was seen during treatment, in contrast, clinical indications of improvement were observed. These two cases illustrate that the presence of autoimmune disease does not necessarily predict increased autoimmune toxicity in connection with immunotherapy. They also raise the question of whether autoimmune disease should continue to be an absolute exclusion criterion for treatment of MM with immunotherapy. Consequently, given the poor prognosis of refractory MM, immunotherapies need to be taken into consideration even in cases of autoimmune comorbidity due to the potential long-term benefit that these therapies offer to MM patients.
KeywordsMetastatic malignant melanoma Immune therapy Systemic autoimmune disease Ipilimumab Interleukin-2
mAbAnti-cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen 4 monoclonal antibody
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflicts of interests to disclose.
- 2.Rosenberg SA, Yang JC, Sherry RM, Kammula US, Hughes MS, Phan GQ, Citrin DE, Restifo NP, Robbins PF, Wunderlich JR, Morton KE, Laurencot CM, Steinberg SM, White DE, Dudley ME (2011) Durable complete responses in heavily pretreated patients with metastatic melanoma using T-cell transfer immunotherapy. Clin Cancer Res 17:4550–4557PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Kaufman HL, Kirkwood JM, Hodi FS, Agarwala S, Amatruda T, Bines SD, Clark JI, Curti B, Ernstoff MS, Gajewski T, Gonzalez R, Hyde LJ, Lawson D, Lotze M, Lutzky J, Margolin K, McDermott DF, Morton D, Pavlick A, Richards JM, Sharfman W, Sondak VK, Sosman J, Steel S, Tarhini A, Thompson JA, Titze J, Urba W, White R, Atkins MB (2013) The Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer consensus statement on tumour immunotherapy for the treatment of cutaneous melanoma. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 10:588–598PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Hodi FS, O’Day SJ, McDermott DF, Weber RW, Sosman JA, Haanen JB, Gonzalez R, Robert C, Schadendorf D, Hassel JC, Akerley W, van den Eertwegh AJ, Lutzky J, Lorigan P, Vaubel JM, Linette GP, Hogg D, Ottensmeier CH, Lebbe C, Peschel C, Quirt I, Clark JI, Wolchok JD, Weber JS, Tian J, Yellin MJ, Nichol GM, Hoos A, Urba WJ (2010) Improved survival with Ipilimumab in patients with metastatic melanoma. N Engl J Med 363:711–723PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Voskens CJ, Goldinger SM, Loquai C, Robert C, Kaehler KC, Berking C, Bergmann T, Bockmeyer CL, Eigentler T, Fluck M, Garbe C, Gutzmer R, Grabbe S, Hauschild A, Hein R, Hundorfean G, Justich A, Keller U, Klein C, Mateus C, Mohr P, Paetzold S, Satzger I, Schadendorf D, Schlaeppi M, Schuler G, Schuler-Thurner B, Trefzer U, Ulrich J, Vaubel J, von MR, Weder P, Wilhelm T, Goppner D, Dummer R, Heinzerling LM (2013) The price of tumor control: an analysis of rare side effects of anti-CTLA-4 therapy in metastatic melanoma from the Ipilimumab network. PLoS One 8:e53745PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Weide B, Martens A, Zelba H, Stutz C, Derhovanessian E, Di Giacomo AM, Maio M, Sucker A, Schilling B, Schadendorf D, Buttner P, Garbe C, Pawelec G (2014) Myeloid-derived suppressor cells predict survival of patients with advanced melanoma: comparison with regulatory T cells and NY-ESO-1- or melan-A-specific T cells. Clin Cancer Res 20:1601–1609PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Simeone E, Gentilcore G, Giannarelli D, Grimaldi AM, Caraco C, Curvietto M, Esposito A, Paone M, Palla M, Cavalcanti E, Sandomenico F, Petrillo A, Botti G, Fulciniti F, Palmieri G, Queirolo P, Marchetti P, Ferraresi V, Rinaldi G, Pistillo MP, Ciliberto G, Mozzillo N, Ascierto PA (2014) Immunological and biological changes during Ipilimumab treatment and their potential correlation with clinical response and survival in patients with advanced melanoma. Cancer Immunol Immunother 63:675–683PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar