A comparative study of MR extracellular volume fraction measurement and two-dimensional shear-wave elastography in assessment of liver fibrosis with chronic hepatitis B
- 96 Downloads
To evaluate the value of MR liver extracellular volume (ECVliver) in assessment of liver fibrosis with chronic hepatitis B (CHB), and to compare its performance with two-dimensional (2D) shear-wave elastography (SWE).
Materials and methods
A total of 68 CHB patients who were histologically diagnosed as fibrosis stages F0 to F4 were retrospectively analyzed. All patients underwent gadopentetate dimeglumine-enhanced T1-mapping and 2D SWE. ECVliver and liver stiffness were measured and compared between fibrosis subgroups; their correlations with histologic findings were evaluated using Spearman correlation test and multiple regression analysis. Diagnostic performance in evaluating liver fibrosis stages was assessed and compared using receiver-operating characteristic analysis.
Both ECVliver and liver stiffness increased as the fibrosis score increased (F = 17.08 to 10.99, P < 0.001). ECVliver displayed a strong correlation with fibrosis stage (r = 0.740, P < 0.001), and liver stiffness displayed a moderate correlation (r = 0.651, P < 0.001); multivariate analysis revealed that only ECVliver was independently correlated with fibrosis stage (P < 0.001). Univariate analyses showed significant correlations of ECVliver with fibrosis stage, inflammatory activity, and platelet count; among all, the fibrosis stage had the highest correlation coefficient and was the only independent factor (P < 0.001). Overall, ECVliver had no significant different performance compared with 2D SWE for the identification of both fibrosis stage s ≥ F2 and F4 (P = 0.868 and 0.171).
MR ECVliver plays a promising role in the prediction of liver fibrosis for patients with CHB, comparable to 2D SWE.
KeywordsLiver fibrosis Extracellular space Magnetic resonance imaging Sonoelastography Chronic hepatitis B Cirrhosis
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation for Young Scientists of China [grant number 81601488]; the Shanghai Sailing Program [grant number 16YF1410600]; and the National Natural Science Foundation of China [grant number 81571661].
- 1.Lok AS, McMahon BJ, Brown RS, Jr., Wong JB, Ahmed AT, Farah W, Almasri J, Alahdab F, Benkhadra K, Mouchli MA, Singh S, Mohamed EA, Abu Dabrh AM, Prokop LJ, Wang Z, Murad MH, Mohammed K (2016) Antiviral therapy for chronic hepatitis B viral infection in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Hepatology 63 (1):284–306. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.28280 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Polasek M, Fuchs BC, Uppal R, Schuehle DT, Alford JK, Loving GS, Yamada S, Wei L, Lauwers GY, Guimaraes AR, Tanabe KK, Caravan P (2012) Molecular MR imaging of liver fibrosis: A feasibility study using rat and mouse models. J Hepatol 57 (3):549–555. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2012.04.035 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 3.Barr RG, Ferraioli G, Palmeri ML, Goodman ZD, Garcia-Tsao G, Rubin J, Garra B, Myers RP, Wilson SR, Rubens D, Levine D (2015) Elastography Assessment of Liver Fibrosis: Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound Consensus Conference Statement. Radiology 276 (3):845–861. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2015150619 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Marcellin P, Gane E, Buti M, Afdhal N, Sievert W, Jacobson IM, Washington MK, Germanidis G, Flaherty JF, Aguilar Schall R, Bornstein JD, Kitrinos KM, Subramanian GM, McHutchison JG, Heathcote EJ (2013) Regression of cirrhosis during treatment with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for chronic hepatitis B: a 5-year open-label follow-up study. Lancet 381 (9865):468–475. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(12)61425-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Zhuang Y, Ding H, Zhang Y, Sun HC, Xu C, Wang WP (2017) Two-dimensional Shear-Wave Elastography Performance in the Noninvasive Evaluation of Liver Fibrosis in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B: Comparison with Serum Fibrosis Indexes. Radiology 283 (3):872–881. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2016160131 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Barr RG (2017) Shear wave liver elastography. Abdom Radiol (NY). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00261-017-1375-1
- 8.Bandula S, Punwani S, Rosenberg WM, Jalan R, Hall AR, Dhillon A, Moon JC, Taylor SA (2015) Equilibrium Contrast-enhanced CT Imaging to Evaluate Hepatic Fibrosis: Initial Validation by Comparison with Histopathologic Analysis. Radiology 275 (1):136–143. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.14141435 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Brouwer WP, Baars EN, Germans T, de Boer K, Beek AM, van der Velden J, van Rossum AC, Hofman MBM (2014) In-vivo T1 cardiovascular magnetic resonance study of diffuse myocardial fibrosis in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. https://doi.org/10.1186/1532-429x-16-28
- 12.Bandula S, Banypersad SM, Sado D, Flett AS, Punwani S, Taylor SA, Hawkins PN, Moon JC (2013) Measurement of Tissue Interstitial Volume in Healthy Patients and Those with Amyloidosis with Equilibrium Contrast-enhanced MR Imaging. Radiology 268 (3):858–864. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.13121889/-/DC1 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Luetkens JA, Klein S, Traeber F, Schmeel FC, Sprinkart AM, Kuetting DLR, Block W, Hittatiya K, Uschner FE, Schierwagen R, Gieseke J, Schild HH, Trebicka J, Kukuk GM (2017) Quantitative liver MRI including extracellular volume fraction for non-invasive quantification of liver fibrosis: a prospective proof-of-concept study. Gut. https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2017-314561
- 14.Wells ML, Moynagh MR, Carter RE, Childs RA, Leitch CE, Fletcher JG, Yeh BM, Venkatesh SK (2017) Correlation of hepatic fractional extracellular space using gadolinium enhanced MRI with liver stiffness using magnetic resonance elastography. Abdom Radiol (NY) 42 (1):191–198. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00261-016-0867-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Guo SL, Su LN, Zhai YN, Chirume WM, Lei JQ, Zhang H, Yang L, Shen XP, Wen XX, Guo YM (2017) The clinical value of hepatic extracellular volume fraction using routine multiphasic contrast-enhanced liver CT for staging liver fibrosis. Clin Radiol 72 (3):242–246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2016.10.003 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Moreira RK (2007) Hepatic stellate cells and liver fibrosis. Arch Pathol Lab Med 131 (11):1728–1734. https://doi.org/10.1043/1543-2165(2007)131[1728:hscalf]2.0.co;2 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar