68Ga-PSMA PET/CT: Joint EANM and SNMMI procedure guideline for prostate cancer imaging: version 1.0
- 2.9k Downloads
The aim of this guideline is to provide standards for the recommendation, performance, interpretation and reporting of 68Ga-PSMA PET/CT for prostate cancer imaging. These recommendations will help to improve accuracy, precision, and repeatability of 68Ga-PSMA PET/CT for prostate cancer essentially needed for implementation of this modality in science and routine clinical practice.
KeywordsPSMA PET Prostate cancer Staging Restaging Guideline
The authors thank the EANM and SNMMI committees and national delegates for their critical review of the manuscript. Also, we appreciate the great support of Sonja Niederkofler from the EANM office in Vienna, and Julie Kauffman from the SNMMI office in Reston during the development of this guideline.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Matthias Eiber has a research grant from Siemens. Mohsen Beheshti is a member of the Oncology Committee of the EANM. Thomas Hope has research grants from GE Healthcare. Hans-Jürgen Wester is a shareholder of SCINTOMICS. Stefano Fanti is an advisory board member of BED, Bayer, and ANMI, receives travel support from Bayer, GE Healthcare, and Sanofi, and has grants from Movember and BED. All other authors declare no conflicts of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 8.Afshar-Oromieh A, Malcher A, Eder M, Eisenhut M, Linhart HG, Hadaschik BA, et al. PET imaging with a [68Ga]gallium-labelled PSMA ligand for the diagnosis of prostate cancer: biodistribution in humans and first evaluation of tumour lesions. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2013;40:486–95.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Afshar-Oromieh A, Hetzheim H, Kratochwil C, Benesova M, Eder M, Neels OC, et al. The Theranostic PSMA ligand PSMA-617 in the diagnosis of prostate cancer by PET/CT: biodistribution in humans, radiation dosimetry, and first evaluation of tumor lesions. J Nucl Med. 2015;56:1697–705.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Perera M, Papa N, Christidis D, Wetherell D, Hofman MS, Murphy DG, et al. Sensitivity, specificity, and predictors of positive 68Ga-prostate-specific membrane antigen positron emission tomography in advanced prostate cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Urol. 2016;70:926–37.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Morigi JJ, Stricker PD, van Leeuwen PJ, Tang R, Ho B, Nguyen Q, et al. Prospective comparison of 18F-Fluoromethylcholine versus 68Ga-PSMA PET/CT in prostate cancer patients Who have rising PSA after curative treatment and Are being considered for targeted therapy. J Nucl Med. 2015;56:1185–90.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Maurer T, Gschwend JE, Rauscher I, Souvatzoglou M, Haller B, Weirich G, et al. Diagnostic efficacy of (68)gallium-PSMA positron emission tomography compared to conventional imaging for lymph node staging of 130 consecutive patients with intermediate to high risk prostate cancer. J Urol. 2016;195:1436–43.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Herlemann A, Wenter V, Kretschmer A, Thierfelder KM, Bartenstein P, Faber C, et al. Ga-PSMA positron emission tomography/computed tomography provides accurate staging of lymph node regions prior to lymph node dissection in patients with prostate cancer. Eur Urol. 2016;70:553–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Heck MM, Retz M, D’Alessandria C, Rauscher I, Scheidhauer K, Maurer T, et al. Systemic radioligand therapy with (177)Lu labeled prostate specific membrane antigen ligand for imaging and therapy in patients with metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer. J Urol. 2016;196:382–91.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Donohoe KJ. THE SNM PROCEDURE GUIDELINE FOR GENERAL IMAGING 6.0. 2010. http://snmmi.files.cms-plus.com/docs/General_Imaging_Version_6.0.pdf
- 38.Evans MJ, Smith-Jones PM, Wongvipat J, Navarro V, Kim S, Bander NH, et al. Noninvasive measurement of androgen receptor signaling with a positron-emitting radiopharmaceutical that targets prostate-specific membrane antigen. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:9578–82.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 41.Media ACoDaC. ACR Manual on Contrast Media, Version 10.2. American College of Radiology 2016.Google Scholar
- 45.Sawicki LM, Buchbender C, Boos J, Giessing M, Ermert J, Antke C, et al. Diagnostic potential of PET/CT using a 68Ga-labelled prostate-specific membrane antigen ligand in whole-body staging of renal cell carcinoma: initial experience. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2017;44:102–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 54.Husband JE, Padhani AR. Radiologists RCo. Recommendations for cross-sectional imaging in cancer management. London: Royal College of Radiologists; 2006.Google Scholar