Androgen deprivation therapy influences the uptake of 11C-choline in patients with recurrent prostate cancer: the preliminary results of a sequential PET/CT study
The influence of androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) on 11C-choline uptake in patients with prostate cancer (PC) has not yet been clarified. The aim of our study was to investigate this issue by means of sequential 11C-choline positron emission tomography (PET)/CT in patients with recurrent PC.
We retrospectively studied 14 recurrent PC patients (mean age 67 years, range 55–82) during follow-up after radical prostatectomy (RP) with rising serum prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels. All patients had undergone at least two consecutive 11C-choline PET/CT scans: the first 11C-choline PET/CT before commencing ADT and the second 11C-choline PET/CT after 6 months of ADT administration.
The mean serum PSA level before ADT was 17.0 ± 44.1 ng/ml. After 6 months of ADT administration the PSA value significantly decreased in comparison to baseline (PSA = 2.4 ± 3.1 ng/ml, p < .025). Moreover, before starting ADT, 13 of 14 patients had positive 11C-choline PET/CT for metastatic spread, while after 6 months of ADT administration in 9 of 14 patients 11C-choline PET/CT became negative.
These preliminary results suggest that ADT significantly reduces 11C-choline uptake in androgen-sensitive PC patients.
KeywordsSequential choline PET/CT Prostate cancer Recurrent disease Androgen deprivation therapy
Conflicts of interest
- 11.Fuccio C, Rubello D, Castellucci P, Marzola MC, Fanti S. Choline PET/CT for prostate cancer: main clinical applications. Eur J Radiol 2010. [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- 12.Tyrrell CJ, Payne H, See WA, McLeod DG, Wirth MP, Iversen P, et al. Bicalutamide (‘Casodex’) 150 mg as adjuvant to radiotherapy in patients with localised or locally advanced prostate cancer: results from the randomised Early Prostate Cancer Programme. Radiother Oncol 2005;76:4–10.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Giovacchini G, Picchio M, Coradeschi E, Scattoni V, Bettinardi V, Cozzarini C, et al. [(11)C]choline uptake with PET/CT for the initial diagnosis of prostate cancer: relation to PSA levels, tumour stage and anti-androgenic therapy. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2008;35:1065–73.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Giovacchini G, Picchio M, Scattoni V, Garcia Parra R, Briganti A, Gianolli L, et al. PSA doubling time for prediction of [(11)C]choline PET/CT findings in prostate cancer patients with biochemical failure after radical prostatectomy. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2010;37:1106–16.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Castellucci P, Fuccio C, Rubello D, Schiavina R, Santi I, Nanni C, et al. Is there a role for (11)C-choline PET/CT in the early detection of metastatic disease in surgically treated prostate cancer patients with a mild PSA increase <1.5 ng/ml? Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2011;38:55–63.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar