Aneurysmal bone cyst treated with percutaneous doxycycline: is a single treatment sufficient?
- 82 Downloads
The purpose of this case series is to report on the effectiveness of a single percutaneous injection of doxycycline as a primary treatment for aneurysmal bone cyst (ABC).
Materials and methods
A retrospective cohort study was conducted on seven patients diagnosed with ABC at various anatomical sites, with the intention to treat by a single percutaneous injection of doxycycline. Mean patient age was 14 years.
Signs of treatment response were seen in six of seven patients after one injection. Three of the seven received a second treatment, despite signs of response. Another had expansion of the lesion after treatment, requiring excision. In total, three patients had a single injection of doxycycline as their sole treatment and another three showed signs of response after a single injection.
A single percutaneous injection of doxycycline should be considered a viable primary treatment option for ABC.
KeywordsNeoplasms Tumor Bone cysts Aneurysmal Treatment Doxycycline Intervention CT guidance
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 1.Fletcher C DM, Bridge JA, Hogendoorn PCW, Mertens F. WHO classification of tumors of soft tissue and bone. 4th ed. Geneva: WHO; 2013. p. 110–111.Google Scholar
- 4.Schajowicz F. Histological typing of bone tumours. Berlin: Springer Science & Business Media; 2012.Google Scholar
- 8.Lau AW, Pringle LM, Quick L, Riquelme DN, Ye Y, Oliveira AM, et al. TRE17/ubiquitin-specific protease 6 (USP6) oncogene translocated in aneurysmal bone cyst blocks osteoblastic maturation via an autocrine mechanism involving bone morphogenetic protein dysregulation. J Biol Chem. 2010;285(47):37111–20.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Hauschild O, Ludemann M, Engelhardt M, Baumhoer D, Baumann T, Elger T, et al. Aneurysmal bone cyst (ABC): treatment options and proposal of a follow-up regime. Acta Orthop Belg. 2016;82(3):474–83.Google Scholar
- 19.Docquier PL, Delloye C. Treatment of aneurysmal bone cysts by introduction of demineralized bone and autogenous bone marrow. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87(10):2253–8.Google Scholar