3 Tesla MR neurography—technique, interpretation, and pitfalls
MRI has been used for almost two decades for the evaluation of peripheral nerve disorders. This article highlights the relative advantages and disadvantages of 3T MR neurography in the evaluation of peripheral neuropathies. The authors also describe the high-resolution MR neurography technique on 3T MRI, along with the approach to its interpretation that has evolved at one institution.
KeywordsMR neurography 3 Tesla MRI Peripheral neuropathies Peripheral nerve disorders Nerve injuries
Dr. Chhabra has research grants from GE-AUR (GERRAF), Siemens Medical Solutions, and Integra Life Sciences. Dr. Chhabra also serves as a research consultant with Siemens CAD group
- 4.Chhabra A, Subhawong TK, William EH, Wang KC, Hashemi S, Thawait SK, Carrino JA. High resolution MR neurography evaluation prior to repeat tarsal tunnel surgery. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011;197. doi: 10.2214/AJR.10.5763.
- 22.Nanko S, Oshima H, Watanabe T, Sasaki S, Hara M, Shibamoto Y. Usefulness of the application of the BLADE technique to reduce motion artifacts on navigation-triggered prospective acquisition correction (PACE) T2-weighted MRI (T2WI) of the liver. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2009;30(2):321–6.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Tagliafico A, Succio G, Emanuele Neumaier C, Serafini G, Ghidara M, Calabrese M, Martinoli C. MR imaging of the brachial plexus: comparison between 1.5-T and 3-T MR imaging: preliminary experience. Skeletal Radiol. 2010;40(6):717–24.Google Scholar
- 27.Tagliafico A, Succio G, Neumaier CE, Baio G, Serafini G, Ghidara M, Calabrese M, Martinoli C. Brachial plexus assessment with three-dimensional isotropic resolution fast spin echo MRI: comparison with conventional MRI at 3.0 T. Br J Radiol. 2011 Feb 22. [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- 28.Thawait SK, Chaudhry V, Thawait GK, Wang KC, Belzberg A, Carrino JA, et al. High-resolution MR neurography of diffuse peripheral nerve lesions. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2010. doi: 10.3174/ajnr.A2257.
- 30.Viallon M, Vargas MI, Jlassi H, Lovblad KO, Delavelle J. High-resolution and functional magnetic resonance imaging of the brachial plexus using an isotropic 3D T2 STIR (short term inversion recovery) SPACE sequence and diffusion tensor imaging. Eur Radiol. 2008;18:1018–23.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar