Selective arterial embolization of 36 aneurysmal bone cysts of the skeleton with N-2-butyl cyanoacrylate
- 594 Downloads
Aneurysmal bone cyst (ABC) is a lytic benign bone lesion representing about 1% of all primary bone tumors. The lesion causes pain and swelling, which are generally present for less than 3 months.
From April 2003 to April 2008 36 patients affected by aneurysmal bone cysts were treated by selective arterial embolization with N-2-butyl cyanoacrylate. The study population comprised 20 male and 16 female patients with an age range of 3.3–60.8 years. Nine lesions were localized in the appendicular skeleton (1 in the upper and 8 in the lower limb), 4 in the thoracic cage (1 rib lesion and 3 scapular lesions), 17 in the pelvis and 6 in the spine (1 thoracic and 5 sacral localizations).
A total of 55 embolizations were performed: in 22 cases (61%) only one embolization was needed, whilst two embolizations were necessary in 9 cases (25%) and 3 in the remaining 5 patients (14%). The treatment was effective in 32 patients (94% ): follow-up was 0.9–5 years. In one patient, previously surgically treated, only the cyanoacrylate embolization turned out to be useful for healing the lesion. Another 7 patients underwent surgery during the study period. In the 55 procedures we performed we had 3 complications (5%): 2 cases of skin necrosis and 1 of transient paresis.
Arterial embolization with cyanoacrylate may be the treatment of choice for aneurysmal bone cysts. Embolization is a less invasive, lower cost, simpler procedure than surgery and is easily repeatable.
KeywordsAneurysmal bone cyst (ABC) Tumor-like lesion Digital subtraction angiography (DSA) Selective arterial embolization (SAE) N-2-butyl cyanoacrylate
- 2.Campanacci M, Capanna R, Picci P. Unicameral and aneurysmal bone cysts. Clin Orthop. 1986;204:25–36.Google Scholar
- 3.Mirra JM. Aneurysmal bone cyst. In: Mirra JM, Picci P, Gold RH, editors. Bone tumors. Clinical, radiologic, and pathologic correlations, 2nd edn. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger; 1989. p. 1267–311.Google Scholar
- 4.Cigala F, Sadile F, Iaccarino V. Embolizzazione arteriosa selettiva della cisti aneurismatica dello stelo. Napoli: Idelson-Gnocchi; 2004. p. 9–10.Google Scholar
- 6.Jaffe HL. Tumors and tumorous conditions of the bones and joints. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger; 1958. p. 54–62.Google Scholar
- 11.Dorfman HD, Czerniak B. Cystic lesions in bone tumors. St. Louis: Mosby; 1998. p. 855–79.Google Scholar
- 12.Conway WF, Curtis WH. Miscellaneous lesions of bone. In: Moser RP, editor. Radiologic Clinics of North America. Imaging of bone and soft tissue tumors. Philadelphia: Saunders Company; 1993. p. 339–58.Google Scholar