Tuberculous bicipitoradial bursitis: A case report
- 167 Downloads
An 76-year-old man with an indolent soft tissue mass on the volar aspect of the left elbow was referred to our institution with a diagnosis of a soft tissue tumor. He had a history of lung tuberculosis since the age of 30. The mass was adjacent to the biceps brachi tendon. It demonstrated homogeneous low-signal intensity on T1-weighted magnetic resonance (MR) images and heterogeneous relatively high signal intensity with scattered low and high signal intensity areas on T2-weighted MR images. An excision was performed after needle biopsy with presumptive diagnosis of bicipitoradial bursitis. The histological specimen revealed an epithelioid cell granuloma with central necrosis. While the occurrence of tuberculous bicipitoradial bursitis has never been reported, this case demonstrates that it can be considered to be among the causes of a cystic lesion around the elbow joint.
KeywordsBicipitoradial bursa Soft tissue mass Tuberculous bursitis
The authors thank Yoichi Satoh MD, PhD, Chairman of the Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine Iwate Medical University, for his advice during the revision of this paper.
- 1.Watts HG, Lifeso RM. Tuberculosis of bones and joints. J Bone Joint Surg 1996;78-A:288–98.Google Scholar
- 2.Buckner CB, Leithiser RE, Walker CW. The changing epidemiology of tuberculosis and other mycobacterial infection in the United states. Am J Roentgenol 1991;56:255–64.Google Scholar
- 4.Skaf AY, Boutin RD, Dantas RWM, Hooper AW, Muhle C, Chou DS, et al. Bicipitoradial bursitis: MR imaging findings in eight patients and anatomic data from contrast material opacification of bursae followed by routine radiography and MR imaging in cadavers. Radiology 1999;212:111–6.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Karanjia ND, Stiles PJ. Cubital bursitis. J Bone Joint Surg 1988;70-B:832–3.Google Scholar
- 6.Spinner RJ, Lins RE, Collins AJ, Spinner M. Posterior interosseous nerve compression due to an enlarged bicipitoradial bursa confirmed by MRI. J Hand Surg 1993;18-B:753–6.Google Scholar
- 7.Matsumoto K, Hukuda S, Fujita M, Kakimoto A, Tachibana S. Cubital bursitis caused by localized synovial chondromatosis of the elbow. A case report. J Bone Joint Surg 1996;78-A:275–7.Google Scholar
- 12.McNeur JC, Pritchard AE. Tuberculosis of the greater trochanter. J Bone Joint Surg 1955;37-Br:246–51.Google Scholar