Adhesive capsulitis: sonographic changes in the rotator cuff interval with arthroscopic correlation
To evaluate the sonographic findings of the rotator interval in patients with clinical evidence of adhesive capsulitis immediately prior to arthroscopy.
Design and patients
We prospectively compared 30 patients with clinically diagnosed adhesive capsulitis (20 females, 10 males, mean age 50 years) with a control population of 10 normal volunteers and 100 patients with a clinical suspicion of rotator cuff tears. Grey-scale and colour Doppler sonography of the rotator interval were used.
Twenty-six patients (87%) demonstrated hypoechoic echotexture and increased vascularity within the rotator interval, all of whom had had symptoms for less than 1 year. Three patients had hypoechoic echotexture but no increase in vascularity, and one patient had a normal sonographic appearance. All patients were shown to have fibrovascular inflammatory soft-tissue changes in the rotator interval at arthroscopy commensurate with adhesive capsulitis. None of the volunteers or the patients with a clinical diagnosis of rotator cuff tear showed such changes.
Sonography can provide an early accurate diagnosis of adhesive capsulitis by assessing the rotator interval for hypoechoic vascular soft tissue.
KeywordsSonography Adhesive capsulitis Frozen shoulder Arthroscopy MRI Rotator interval Anatomy
The authors would like to thank Amanda Williams for the line diagram.
- 1.Codman EA. (ed) Tendinitis of the short rotators. In: Ruptures of the supraspinatus tendon and other lesions in or about the subacromial bursa. Thomas Todd, Boston, 1934.Google Scholar
- 2.Neviaser JS. Adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: study of pathological findings in periarthritis of the shoulder. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1945; 27:211–22.Google Scholar
- 6.Itol E, Tabata S. Range of motion and arthrography in the frozen shoulder. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 1992; 1:106–112.Google Scholar
- 9.Bunker TD. The pathology of frozen shoulder. A Dupuytren-like condition. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1995; 77B:677–83.Google Scholar
- 16.Ptasznik R. Sonography of the Shoulder. In: van Holsbeeck MT, Introcaso JH eds. Musculoskeletal ultrasound, 2nd edn. St. Louis: Mosby, 2001, pp 504–505.Google Scholar
- 18.Hannafin JA, DiCarlo EF, Wickiewicz TL, Warren RF. Adhesive capsulitis: capsular fibroplasias of the glenohumeral joint. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 1994; 3:512–517.Google Scholar
- 20.Rodeo SA, Hannafin JA, Tom J, Warren RF, Wickiewicz TL. Immunolocalization of cytokines and their receptors in adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder. J Orthop Res 1977; 15:427–436.Google Scholar