Reliability of the Crowe und Hartofilakidis classifications used in the assessment of the adult dysplastic hip
- First Online:
- 258 Downloads
To assess the inter-observer and intra-observer reliability of two commonly used radiographic classification systems in the evaluation of hip dysplasia in skeletally mature adults.
Three observers with different levels of training independently classified 62 dysplastic hips on 51 standard anteriorposterior pelvis radiographs according to the criteria defined by Crowe and by Hartofilakidis. To assess intra-observer reliability, the same radiographs were reviewed 3 months later by the same observers.
At the time of the radiographic examination, the mean age of the 51 patients had been 54 years (range 18–82 years).
A high correlation concerning the inter- and intra-observer reliability of both systems was demonstrated. Inter-observer reliability displayed a weighted kappa coefficient of 0.82 for the Crowe and 0.75 for the Hartofilakidis classification. Intra-observer reliability showed a kappa coefficient of 0.86 and 0.79, respectively.
Both classification systems can be recommended to compare collectives of adult patients with congenital dysplasia of the hip. However, for future clinical practice, it would be advisable to agree on one universally accepted system as a standard in the literature.
KeywordsHip Dysplasia Prosthesis Classification
- 2.Hartofilakidis G, Karachalios T (2004) Total hip arthroplasty for congenital hip disease. J Bone Joint Surg Am 86-A(2):242–250Google Scholar
- 3.Crowe JF, Mani VJ, Ranawat CS (1979) Total hip replacement in congenital dislocation and dysplasia of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 61(1):15–23Google Scholar
- 4.Eftekhar NS (1978) Principles of total hip arthroplasty. Mosby, St. LouisGoogle Scholar
- 5.Hartofilakidis G, Stamos K, Ioannidis TT (1988) Low friction arthroplasty for old untreated congenital dislocation of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 70(2):182–186Google Scholar
- 6.Kerboull M, Mathieu M, Sauzieres P (1987) Total hip replacement for congenital dysplasia of the hip. In: Postel M, Kerboull M, Evrard J, Courpied JP (eds) Total hip replacement. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp. 51–66Google Scholar
- 9.Cicchelli DV, Allison T (1971) A new procedure for assessing reliability of scoring EEG sleep recordings. Am J EEG Technol 11:101–109Google Scholar
- 10.Fleiss JL (1981) Statistical methods for rates and proportions, 2nd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 15.Sharp IK (1961) Acetabular dysplasia: the acetabular angle. J Bone Joint Surg Br 43 B(2):268–272Google Scholar
- 21.Haddad FS, Masri BA, Garbuz DS, Duncan CP (1999) Primary total hip replacement of the dysplastic hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am 81-A(10):1462–1482Google Scholar