Combination of probiotics with different functions alleviate DSS-induced colitis by regulating intestinal microbiota, IL-10, and barrier function
The potential of probiotics for treating ulcerative colitis (UC) has attracted increasing attention. However, more studies are still needed to guide physicians on the proper selection and use of probiotics. Here, we propose that combination of multiple probiotics with different functions can reduce intestinal inflammation. In this study, the effects of probiotics (Lactobacillus reuteri, Bacillus coagulans, Bifidobacterium longum, and Clostridium butyricum) on the physiology and histopathology of colon were evaluated in a dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)-induced colitis mouse model. The combined species, as well as the species individually, were tested and compared with sulfasalazine (SASP) and two Chinese herbal therapies. Results show that the functions of the four probiotic strains were different in regulating intestinal immunity and barrier function. The four-species probiotic cocktail was more effective than the species individually and anti-inflammatory drugs in repairing the dysbiosis of mucosal microbial ecology and reducing intestinal inflammation. The multi-strain probiotic mixture increased the proportion of beneficial bacteria and decreased the proportion of pro-inflammatory bacteria in the colonic mucosa. In addition, probiotic mixture significantly enhanced the expression of IL-10 and intestinal barrier function. These results suggest that a combination of multiple probiotics with different functions has synergistic effects and can restore the balance of interactions between microorganisms and immunological niches.
KeywordsMulti-strain probiotics Synergistic effects Mucosal microbial ecology IL-10 Intestinal barrier Immunological niches
This work was supported by the Science and Technology Development Planning of Jilin [20180201078YY].
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
The animal experiment was approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee of Jilin University (IACUC). All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed. This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
- Broadhurst MJ, Ardeshir A, Kanwar B, Mirpuri J, Gundra UM, Leung JM, Wiens KE, Vujkovic-Cvijin I, Kim CC, Yarovinsky F, Lerche NW, McCune JM, Loke P (2012) Therapeutic helminth infection of macaques with idiopathic chronic diarrhea alters the inflammatory signature and mucosal microbiota of the colon. PLoS Pathog 8(11):e1003000. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.1003000 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Burrello C, Garavaglia F, Cribiu FM, Ercoli G, Lopez G, Troisi J, Colucci A, Guglietta S, Carloni S, Guglielmetti S, Taverniti V, Nizzoli G, Bosari S, Caprioli F, Rescigno M, Facciotti F (2018) Therapeutic faecal microbiota transplantation controls intestinal inflammation through IL10 secretion by immune cells. Nat Commun 9(1):5184. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-07359-8 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- de Jesus NZ, de Souza FH, Gomes IF, de Almeida Leite TJ, de Morais Lima GR, Barbosa-Filho JM, Tavares JF, da Silva MS, de Athayde-Filho PF, Batista LM (2012) Tannins, peptic ulcers and related mechanisms. Int J Mol Sci 13(3):3203–3228. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms13033203 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Di Giacinto C, Marinaro M, Sanchez M, Strober W, Boirivant M (2005) Probiotics ameliorate recurrent Th1-mediated murine colitis by inducing IL-10 and IL-10-dependent TGF-beta-bearing regulatory cells. J Immunol 174(6):3237–3246. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.174.6.3237 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Duranti S, Gaiani F, Mancabelli L, Milani C, Grandi A, Bolchi A, Santoni A, Lugli GA, Ferrario C, Mangifesta M, Viappiani A, Bertoni S, Vivo V, Serafini F, Barbaro MR, Fugazza A, Barbara G, Gioiosa L, Palanza P, Cantoni AM, de’ Angelis GL, Barocelli E, de’ Angelis N, van Sinderen D, Ventura M, Turroni F (2016) Elucidating the gut microbiome of ulcerative colitis: bifidobacteria as novel microbial biomarkers. FEMS Microbiol Ecol 92(12):fiw191. https://doi.org/10.1093/femsec/fiw191 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fitzpatrick LR, Small JS, Greene WH, Karpa KD, Farmer S, Keller D (2012) Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086 limits the recurrence of Clostridium difficile-Induced colitis following vancomycin withdrawal in mice. Gut Pathog 4(1):13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1757-4749-4-13 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Gao X, Xie Q, Kong P, Liu L, Sun S, Xiong B, Huang B, Yan L, Sheng J, Xiang H (2017) Polyphenol- and caffeine-rich post-fermented Pu-er tea improves diet-induced metabolic syndrome by remodeling intestinal homeostasis in mice. Infect Immun 86(1):e00601–e00617. https://doi.org/10.1128/IAI.00601-17 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Jacob N, Jacobs JP, Kumagai K, Ha CWY, Kanazawa Y, Lagishetty V, Altmayer K, Hamill AM, Von Arx A, Sartor RB, Devkota S, Braun J, Michelsen KS, Targan SR, Shih DQ (2018) Inflammation-independent TL1A-mediated intestinal fibrosis is dependent on the gut microbiome. Mucosal Immunol 11(5):1466–1476. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41385-018-0055-y CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Je IG, Lee DG, Jeong DG, Hong D, Yoon JM, Moon JS, Park S (2018) The probiotic, ID-JPL934, attenuates dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis in mice through inhibition of proinflammatory cytokines expression. J Med Food 21(9):858–865. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2017.4152 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lee YS, Kim TY, Kim Y, Lee SH, Kim S, Kang SW, Yang JY, Baek IJ, Sung YH, Park YY, Hwang SW, Eunju O, Kim KS, Liu SQ, Kamada N, Gao N, Kweon MN (2018) Microbiota-derived lactate accelerates iIntestinal stem-cell-mediated epithelial development. Cell Host Microbe 24(6):833–846. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chom.2018.11.002 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mahalhal A, Williams JM, Johnson S, Ellaby N, Duckworth CA, Burkitt MD, Liu X, Hold GL, Campbell BJ, Pritchard DM, Probert CS (2018) Oral iron exacerbates colitis and influences the intestinal microbiome. PloS One 13(10):e0202460. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0202460 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Myer PR, Kim M, Freetly HC, Smith TPL (2016) Evaluation of 16S rRNA amplicon sequencing using two next-generation sequencing technologies for phylogenetic analysis of the rumen bacterial community in steers. J Microbiol Methods 127:132–140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mimet.2016.06.004 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Robertson BR, O’Rourke JL, Neilan BA, Vandamme P, On SL, Fox JG, Lee A (2005) Mucispirillum schaedleri gen. nov., sp. nov., a spiral-shaped bacterium colonizing the mucus layer of the gastrointestinal tract of laboratory rodents. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 55(Pt 3):1199–1204. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.63472-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rooks MG, Veiga P, Wardwell-Scott LH, Tickle T, Segata N, Michaud M, Gallini CA, Beal C, van Hylckama-Vlieg JE, Ballal SA, Morgan XC, Glickman JN, Gevers D, Huttenhower C, Garrett WS (2014) Gut microbiome composition and function in experimental colitis during active disease and treatment-induced remission. ISME J 8(7):1403–1417. https://doi.org/10.1038/ismej.2014.3 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Schroeder BO, Birchenough GMH, Stahlman M, Arike L, Johansson MEV, Hansson GC, Backhed F (2018) Bifidobacteria or fiber protects against diet-induced microbiota-mediated colonic mucus deterioration. Cell Host Microbe 23(1):27–40 e7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chom.2017.11.004 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Shin IS, Jeon WY, Shin HK, Cha SW, Lee MY (2013) Banhabaekchulchunma-tang, a traditional herbal formula attenuates absolute ethanol-induced gastric injury by enhancing the antioxidant status. BMC Complement Altern Med 13:170. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-13-170 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Singer E, Bushnell B, Coleman-Derr D, Bowman B, Bowers RM, Levy A, Gies EA, Cheng JF, Copeland A, Klenk HP, Hallam SJ, Hugenholtz P, Tringe SG, Woyke T (2016) High-resolution phylogenetic microbial community profiling. ISME J 10(8):2020–2032. https://doi.org/10.1038/ismej.2015.249 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sun M, Wu W, Chen L, Yang W, Huang X, Ma C, Chen F, Xiao Y, Zhao Y, Ma C, Yao S, Carpio VH, Dann SM, Zhao Q, Liu Z, Cong Y (2018) Microbiota-derived short-chain fatty acids promote Th1 cell IL-10 production to maintain intestinal homeostasis. Nat Commun 9(1):3555. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-05901-2 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tong X, Xu J, Lian F, Yu X, Zhao Y, Xu L, Zhang M, Zhao X, Shen J, Wu S, Pang X, Tian J, Zhang C, Zhou Q, Wang L, Pang B, Chen F, Peng Z, Wang J, Zhen Z, Fang C, Li M, Chen L, Zhao L (2018) Structural alteration of gut microbiota during the amelioration of human type 2 diabetes with hyperlipidemia by metformin and a traditional Chinese herbal formula: a multicenter, randomized, open label clinical trial. mBio 9(3):e02392–e02317. https://doi.org/10.1128/mBio.02392-17 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tursi A, Brandimarte G, Papa A, Giglio A, Elisei W, Giorgetti GM, Forti G, Morini S, Hassan C, Pistoia MA, Modeo ME, Rodino S, D’Amico T, Sebkova L, Sacca N, Di Giulio E, Luzza F, Imeneo M, Larussa T, Di Rosa S, Annese V, Danese S, Gasbarrini A (2010) Treatment of relapsing mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis with the probiotic VSL#3 as adjunctive to a standard pharmaceutical treatment: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Am J Gastroenterol 105(10):2218–2227. https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2010.218 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Wang YB, Xie QH, Sun S, Huang BJ, Zhang Y, Xu Y, Zhang SM, Xiang HY (2018) Probiotics-fermented Massa Medicata Fermentata ameliorates weaning stress in piglets related to improving intestinal homeostasis. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 102(24):10713–10727. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-018-9438-y CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yoshimatsu Y, Yamada A, Furukawa R, Sono K, Osamura A, Nakamura K, Aoki H, Tsuda Y, Hosoe N, Takada N, Suzuki Y (2015) Effectiveness of probiotic therapy for the prevention of relapse in patients with inactive ulcerative colitis. World J Gastroenterol 21(19):5985–5994. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v21.i19.5985 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhou Y, Xu ZZ, He Y, Yang Y, Liu L, Lin Q, Nie Y, Li M, Zhi F, Liu S, Amir A, González A, Tripathi A, Chen M, Wu GD, Knight R, Zhou H, Chen Y, Ercolini D (2018) Gut microbiota offers universal biomarkers across ethnicity in inflammatory bowel disease diagnosis and infliximab response prediction. mSystems 3(1):e00188–e00117. https://doi.org/10.1128/mSystems.00188-17 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zou J, Chassaing B, Singh V, Pellizzon M, Ricci M, Fythe MD, Kumar MV, Gewirtz AT (2018) Fiber-mediated nourishment of gut microbiota protects against diet-induced obesity by restoring IL-22-mediated colonic health. Cell Host Microbe 23(1):41–53.e4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chom.2017.11.003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar