Comparative transcriptomics and transcriptional regulation analysis of enhanced laccase production induced by co-culture of Pleurotus eryngii var. ferulae with Rhodotorula mucilaginosa
- 117 Downloads
The co-culturing of Pleurotus eryngii var. ferulae and Rhodotorula mucilaginosa was confirmed in our previous studies to be an efficient strategy to improve laccase production by submerged fermentation. To determine the possible regulation principles underlying this behaviour, comparative transcriptomic analysis was performed on P. eryngii var. ferulae to investigate the differential expression of genes in co-culture. RNA-seq analysis showed that genes concerning xenobiotic biodegradation and expenditure of energy were upregulated. However, genes related to oxidative stress were downregulated. In addition, the transcription levels of laccase isoenzymes were not consistent in the co-culture system: 3 laccase genes (lacc1, lacc2, lacc12) were upregulated, and 3 laccase genes (lacc4, lacc6, lacc9) were downregulated. The enhancement in laccase activity can be due to upregulation of a laccase heterodimer encoded by the genes lacc2 and ssPOXA3a (or ssPOXA3b), whose expression levels were increased by 459% and 769% (or 585% for ssPOXA3b) compared with those of a control, respectively. β-Carotene produced by R. mucilaginosa upregulated the transcription of lacc2 only. Combining these results with an analysis of cis-acting responsive elements indicated that four transcription factors (TFs) had potential regulatory effects on the transcription of laccase genes. It was supposed that TFa regulated lacc transcription by binding with methyl jasmonate and heat shock response elements. The expression of TFb, TFc, and TFd was regulated by β-carotene. However, β-carotene had no effect on TFa expression. These results provide a possible mechanism for the regulation of laccase gene transcription in the co-culture system and are also beneficial for the future intensification of fungal laccase production.
KeywordsLaccase Co-culture β-Carotene RNA-seq Transcriptional regulation
Funding for this study was provided by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31571822) and the Science and Technology Project of Jiangsu Province (social development category, BE2017683). This study was also sponsored by the National First-Class Discipline Programme of Light Industry Technology and Engineering (LITE2018-22).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
This research did not involve any human participants.
- Alfaro M, Castanera R, Lavín JL, Grigoriev IV, Oguiza JA, Ramírez L, Pisabarro AG (2016) Comparative and transcriptional analysis of the predicted secretome in the lignocellulose-degrading basidiomycete fungus Pleurotus ostreatus. Environ Microbiol 18(12):4710–4726. https://doi.org/10.1111/1462-2920.13360 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Badis G, Chan ET, van Bakel H, Pena-Castillo L, Tillo D, Tsui K, Carlson CD, Gossett AJ, Hasinoff MJ, Warren CL, Gebbia M, Talukder S, Yang A, Mnaimneh S, Terterov D, Coburn D, Li Yeo A, Yeo ZX, Clarke ND, Lieb JD, Ansari AZ, Nislow C, Hughes TR (2008) A library of yeast transcription factor motifs reveals a widespread function for Rsc3 in targeting nucleosome exclusion at promoters. Mol Cell 32(6):878–887. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcel.2008.11.020 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Balderas-Hernandez VE, Correia K, Mahadevan R (2018) Inactivation of the transcription factor mig1 (YGL035C) in Saccharomyces cerevisiae improves tolerance towards monocarboxylic weak acids: acetic, formic and levulinic acid. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 45(8):735–751. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10295-018-2053-1 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Castanera R, Perez G, Omarini A, Alfaro M, Pisabarro AG, Faraco V, Amore A, Ramírez L (2012) Transcriptional and enzymatic profiling of Pleurotus ostreatus laccase genes in submerged and solid-state fermentation cultures. Appl Environ Microbiol 78(11):4037–4045. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.07880-11 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Castanera R, López-Varas L, Pisabarro AG, Ramírez L (2015) Validation of reference genes for transcriptional analyses in Pleurotus ostreatus by using reverse transcription-quantitative PCR. Appl Environ Microbiol 81(12):4120–4129. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.00402-15 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Copete-Pertuz LS, Alandete-Novoa F, Placido J, Correa-Londono GA, Mora-Martinez AL (2019) Enhancement of ligninolytic enzymes production and decolourising activity in Leptosphaerulina sp. by co-cultivation with Trichoderma viride and Aspergillus terreus. Sci Total Environ 646:1536–1545. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.07.387 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Darwish WS, Ikenaka Y, Nakayama S, Mizukawa H, Thompson LA, Ishizuka M (2018) beta-Carotene and retinol reduce benzo[a]pyrene-induced mutagenicity and oxidative stress via transcriptional modulation of xenobiotic metabolizing enzymes in human HepG2 cell line. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 25(7):6320–6328. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-017-0977-z CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fan F, Zhuo R, Sun S, Wan X, Jiang M, Zhang X, Yang Y (2011) Cloning and functional analysis of a new laccase gene from Trametes sp. 48424 which had the high yield of laccase and strong ability for decolorizing different dyes. Bioresour Technol 102(3):3126–3137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.10.079 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Flores C, Vidal C, Trejo-Hernandez MR, Galindo E, Serrano-Carreon L (2009) Selection of Trichoderma strains capable of increasing laccase production by Pleurotus ostreatus and Agaricus bisporus in dual cultures. J Appl Microbiol 106(1):249–257. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2008.03998.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Grabherr M, Haas B, Yassour M, Levin J, Thompson D, Amit I, Adiconis X, Fan L, Raychowdhury R, Zeng Q, Chen Z, Mauceli E, Hacohen N, Gnirke A, Rhind N, Palma F, Birren B, Nusbaum C, Lindblad-Toh K, Friedman N, Regev A (2011) Full-length transcriptome assembly from RNA-Seq data without a reference genome. Nat Biotechnol 29:644–652. https://doi.org/10.1038/nbt.1883 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hu J, Zhang Y, Xu Y, Sun Q, Liu J, Fang W, Xiao Y, Kües U, Fang Z (2019) Gongronella sp. w5 elevates Coprinopsis cinerea laccase production by carbon source syntrophism and secondary metabolite induction. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 103(1):411–425. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-018-9469-4 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Luo F, Zhong Z, Liu L, Igarashi Y, Xie D, Li N (2017) Metabolomic differential analysis of interspecific interactions among white rot fungi Trametes versicolor, Dichomitus squalens and Pleurotus ostreatus. Sci Rep 7(1):5265. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-05669-3 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Morin E, Kohler A, Baker AR, Foulongne-Oriol M, Lombard V, Nagy LG, Ohm RA, Patyshakuliyeva A, Brun A, Aerts AL, Bailey AM, Billette C, Coutinho PM, Deakin G, Doddapaneni H, Floudas D, Grimwood J, Hilden K, Kües U, Labutti KM, Lapidus A, Lindquist EA, Lucas SM, Murat C, Riley RW, Salamov AA, Schmutz J, Subramanian V, Wösten HA, Xu J, Eastwood DC, Foster GD, Sonnenberg AS, Cullen D, de Vries RP, Lundell T, Hibbett DS, Henrissat B, Burton KS, Kerrigan RW, Challen MP, Grigoriev IV, Martin F (2012) Genome sequence of the button mushroom Agaricus bisporus reveals mechanisms governing adaptation to a humic-rich ecological niche. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109(43):17501–17506. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1206847109 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Niu W, Lu ZJ, Zhong M, Sarov M, Murray JI, Brdlik CM, Janette J, Chen C, Alves P, Preston E, Slightham C, Jiang L, Hyman AA, Kim SK, Waterston RH, Gerstein M, Snyder M, Reinke V (2011) Diverse transcription factor binding features revealed by genome-wide ChIP-seq in C. elegans. Genome Res 21(2):245–254. https://doi.org/10.1101/gr.114587.110 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ramírez DFG, Vázquez RR, Pérez PA, Bustillos LGT, López RA, Horcasitas MCM, García FJE (2018) Crude enzymatic extract from Trametes maxima and Paecilomyces carneus mixed culture entrapped on alginate for phenanthrene removal in water. Environ Eng Sci 35(10):1126–1135. https://doi.org/10.1089/ees.2018.0064 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rivera-Hoyos CM, Morales-Alvarez ED, Poveda-Cuevas SA, Reyes-Guzman EA, Poutou-Pinales RA, Reyes-Montano EA, Pedroza-Rodriguez AM, Rodriguez-Vazquez R, Cardozo-Bernal AM (2015) Computational analysis and low-scale constitutive expression of laccases synthetic genes GlLCC1 from Ganoderma lucidum and POXA 1B from Pleurotus ostreatus in Pichia pastoris. PLoS One 10(1):e0116524. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0116524 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Schroeckh V, Scherlach K, Nützmann H, Shelest E, Schmidt-Heck W, Schuemann J, Martin K, Hertweck C, Brakhage AA (2009) Intimate bacterial–fungal interaction triggers biosynthesis of archetypal polyketides in Aspergillus nidulans. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 106(34):14558–14563. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0901870106 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Trapnell C, Williams BA, Pertea G, Mortazavi A, Kwan G, van Baren MJ, Salzberg SL, Wold BJ, Pachter L (2010) Transcript assembly and quantification by RNA-Seq reveals unannotated transcripts and isoform switching during cell differentiation. Nat Biotechnol 28(5):511–515. https://doi.org/10.1038/nbt.1621 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Wang L, Gao W, Wu X, Zhao M, Qu J, Huang C, Zhang J (2018) Genome-wide characterization and expression analyses of Pleurotus ostreatus MYB transcription factors during developmental stages and under heat stress based on de novo sequenced genome. Int J Mol Sci 19(7):2052. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19072052 CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Xiang Y, Karaveg K, Moremen KW (2016) Substrate recognition and catalysis by GH47 alpha-mannosidases involved in Asn-linked glycan maturation in the mammalian secretory pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 113(49):E7890–E7899. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1611213113 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhong Z, Li L, Chang P, Xie H, Zhang H, Igarashi Y, Li N, Luo F (2017) Differential gene expression profiling analysis in Pleurotus ostreatus during interspecific antagonistic interactions with Dichomitus squalens and Trametes versicolor. Fungal Biol 121(12):1025–1036. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.funbio.2017.08.008 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhong Z, Li L, He B, Igarashi Y, Luo F (2019) Transcriptome analysis of differential gene expression in Dichomitus squalens during interspecific mycelial interactions and the potential link with laccase induction. J Microbiol 57(2):127–137. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-019-8398-y CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar