Engineering Klebsiella oxytoca for efficient 2, 3-butanediol production through insertional inactivation of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase gene
- 932 Downloads
Ethanol was a major byproduct of 2,3-butanediol (2,3-BD) fermentation by Klebsiella oxytoca ME-UD-3. In order to achieve a high efficiency of 2,3-BD production, K. oxytoca mutants deficient in ethanol formation were successfully constructed by replace the aldA gene coding for aldehyde dehydrogenase with a tetracycline resistance cassette. The results suggested that inactivation of aldA led to a significantly improved 2,3-BD production. The carbon flux to 2,3-BD was enhanced by eliminating the byproducing ethanol and at the same time reducing the accumulation of another byproduct acetoin. At last, by fed-batch culturing of the mutant, the final 2,3-BD titer up to 130 g/l with the productivity of 1.63 g/l.h and the 2,3-BD yield relative to glucose of 0.48 g/g was obtained.
Keywords2,3-butanediol Klebsiella oxytoca Aldehyde dehydrogenase Ethanol Acetoin
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 20606018), the Key Program of National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 20936002), the National Basic Research Program of China (Grant No. 2007CB707805), and the National High Technology Research and Development Program of China (Grant No. 2006AA02Z244). X.-J. Ji was supported by the Innovation Fund for Doctoral Dissertation of Nanjing University of Technology (Grant No. BSCX200808).
- Huang H, Ji XJ, Li S, Du J, Lian M, Gao Z, Hu N (2007) A high 2,3-butanediol producing Klebsiella oxytoca and its application. Chinese Patent (in Chinese). 200710021641.5Google Scholar
- Johansen L, Bryn K, Stormer FC (1975) Physiological and biochemical role of the butanediol pathway in Aerobacter (Enterobacter) aerogenes. J Bacteriol 123:1124–1130Google Scholar
- Joseph S, David WR (2001) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual (Third edition). Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring HarborGoogle Scholar
- Kosaric N, Magee RJ, Blaszczyk R (1992) Redox potential measurement for monitoring glucose and xylose conversion by K. pneumoniae. Chem Biochem Eng Q 6:145–152Google Scholar
- Ma LC, Lee SL, Lee CZ, Yin SJ, Wang JT (2005) Molecular cloning and kinetic characterization of an aldehyde dehydrogenase gene in Klebsiella pneumoniae. J Formos Med Assoc 104:221–230Google Scholar
- Makino S, Uchida I, Terakado N, Sasakawa C, Yoshikawa M (1989) Molecular characterization and protein analysis of the cap region, which is essential for encapsulation in Bacillus anthracis. J Bacteriol 171:722–730Google Scholar
- Zeng AP, Biebl H (2002) Bulk chemicals from biotechnology: the case of 1, 3-propanediol production and the new trends. Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 74:239–259Google Scholar