Improved adaptation to heat, cold, and solvent tolerance in Lactobacillus plantarum
- 715 Downloads
The effect of overproducing each of the three small heat shock proteins (Hsp; Hsp 18.5, Hsp 18.55, and Hsp 19.3) was investigated in Lactobacillus plantarum strain WCFS1. Overproduction of the three genes, hsp 18.5, hsp 18.55, and hsp 19.3, translationally fused to the start codon of the ldhL gene yielded a protein of approximately 19 kDa, as estimated from Tricine sodium dodecyl sulfate–polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis in agreement with the predicted molecular weight of small Hsps. Small Hsp overproduction alleviated the reduction in growth rate triggered by exposing exponentially growing cells to heat shock (37 or 40°C) and cold shock (12°C). Moreover, overproduction of Hsp 18.55 and Hsp 19.3 led to an enhanced survival in the presence of butanol (1% v/v) or ethanol (12% v/v) treatment suggesting a potential role of L. plantarum small Hsps in solvent tolerance.
KeywordsLactobacillus plantarum Heat shock Overexpression plasmids Solvent tolerance
We would like to thanks Dr. Sophie Laurie (BBSRC, Plants, Microbes and Genetics Branch, Polaris House, NorthStar Avenue, Swindon, UK) for her helpful discussion and critical reading of the text. Pascal Hols is a researcher associated at FNRS. This work was financially supported by a 60% grant from the Foggia University.
- Aukrust T, Brurberg MB, Nes IF (1995) Transformation of Lactobacillus by electroporation. Methods Mol Biol 47:201–208Google Scholar
- Jakob U, Gaestel M, Engel K, Buchner J (1993) Small heat shock proteins are molecular chaperones. J Biol Chem 268:1517–1520Google Scholar
- Jobin MB, Delmas F, Garmyn D, Diviès C, Guzzo J (1997) Molecular characterization of the gene encoding an 18-kilodalton small heat shock protein associated with the membrane of Leuconostoc oenos. Appl Environ Microbiol 63:609–614Google Scholar
- Sambrook JE, Fritsch F, Maniatis T (1989) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NYGoogle Scholar
- Spano G, Beneduce L, Perrotta C, Massa S (2005) Cloning and characterization of the hsp 18.55 gene, a new member of the small heat shock genes family isolated from wine Lactobacillus plantarum. Research Microbiol 156:219–224Google Scholar
- Tasara T, Stephan R (2006) Cold Stress Tolerance of Listeria monocytogenes: A Review of Molecular Adaptive Mechanisms and Food Safety Implications. J Food Prot 69:1473–1484Google Scholar