Application of small-angle neutron diffraction to the localization of general anesthetics in model membranes
- 33 Downloads
We set out to explore the applicability of small-angle neutron diffraction (SAND) to the localization of biomembrane components by studying the general anesthetic n-decane in a model lipid bilayer system composed of dioleoyl-phosphocholine (DOPC). Samples in the form of planar membrane multilayers were hydrated by varied mixtures of deuterated and protonated water, and examined by the means of SAND. Neutron scattering length density (NSLD) profiles of the system were then reconstructed from the experimental data. We exploited the significantly different neutron scattering properties of hydrogen and deuterium atoms via labeling in addition to water contrast variation. Enhancing the signals from particular components of bilayer system led to a set of characteristic membrane profiles and from their comparison we localized n-decane molecules unequivocally in the bilayer’s hydrocarbon chain region.
KeywordsGeneral anesthetics n-Decane Lipid bilayers Small-angle neutron diffraction Contrast variation
This work has been supported by the Slovak Scientific Grant Agency Grant VEGA 1/0916/16, and topical themes 04-4-1121-2015/2020 and 04-4-1133-2018/2020 of the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Dubna (Russia). We thank the staff of Institute Laue-Langevine, Bruno Demé in particular, for support and help during experimental run at D16 small momentum transfer diffractometer.
- Als-Nielsen J, McMorrow D (2011) Elements of modern X-ray physics. Wiley, New York. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119998365
- Fitter J, Gutberlet T, Katsaras J (eds) (2006) Neutron scattering in biology techniques and applications. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Katsaras J, Pencer J, Nieh MP, Abraham T, Kučerka N, Haroun TA (2008) Neutron and X-ray scattering from isotropic and aligned membranes. In: Nag K (ed) Structure and dynamics of membranous interfaces. Wiley, Hoboken, NJGoogle Scholar
- Kučerka N, Uhríková D, Karlovská J, Balgavý P (2002) Štúdium interakcie n-dekánu s fosfatidylcholínovými dvojvrstvami pomocou difrakcie röntgenového žiarenia. Farm. Obzor 71:182–187Google Scholar
- Kučerka N, Harroun T, Katsaras J (2013) Neutron scattering of membranes. In: Roberts GCK (ed) Encyclopedia of biophysics. Springer, Berlin, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Nicolson GL (2014) The fluid–mosaic model of membrane structure: still relevant to understanding the structure, function and dynamics of biological membranes after more than 40 years. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta Biomembranes. 1838(6):1451–1466. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamem.2013.10.019 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pan J, Marquardt D, Heberle FA, Kučerka N, Katsaras J (2014) Revisiting the bilayer structures of fluid phase phosphatidylglycerol lipids: accounting for exchangeable hydrogens’. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta Biomembranes 1838(11):2966–2969. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamem.2014.08.009 CrossRefGoogle Scholar