Hip ultrasonography in clinical practice
The current practice of hip ultrasonography for developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH) is based on more than three decades of experience. During this time, professional medical organizations in the United States have addressed both the clinical practice and imaging aspects of early detection of DDH. Current evidence-based clinical practice recommendations come from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Consensus imaging recommendations come from the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, the American College of Radiology, Society for Pediatric Radiology and the Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound. In this review the author compares and contrasts the current guidelines and offers additional practice tips for those providing comprehensive hip ultrasound services to infants.
KeywordsChildren Developmental dysplasia of the hip Guidelines Hip Parameters Practice Ultrasound
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The author has no financial interests, investigational or off-label uses to disclose.
- 3.American College of Radiology (2013) ACR-AIUM-SPR-SRU practice parameter for the performance of the ultrasound examination for detection and assessment of developmental dysplasia of the hip. https://www.acr.org/~/media/ACR/Documents/PGTS/guidelines/US_Hip_Dysplasia.pdf. Accessed 11 Apr 2017
- 8.Grissom LE, Harcke HT (2011) Pediatric hip and musculoskeletal ultrasound. In: Rumack CM, Wilson SR, Charboneau JW, Levine D (eds) Diagnostic ultrasound, 4th edn. Elsevier Mosby, Philadelphia, pp 1982–2005Google Scholar
- 9.Polanuer PA, Harcke HT, Bowen JR (1990) Effective use of ultrasound in the management of congenital dislocation and/or dysplasia of the hip. Clin Orthop Relat Res 252:176–181Google Scholar
- 10.American Medical Association (2016) ICD-10-CM 2017 the complete official code book, 2017th edn. American Medical Association, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- 11.American Medical Association (2015) CPT 2016 professional edition. American Medical Association, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- 12.Shaw BA, Segal LS (2016) Evaluation and referral for developmental dysplasia of the hip in infants. Pediatrics, Section on Orthopaedics 138(6). doi: 10.1542/peds.2016-3107