Eisenmenger Syndrome in Adults: Treatment Pattern and Prognostic Factors in the Advanced Pulmonary Vasodilator Era
Patients with Eisenmenger syndrome (ES) have a higher mortality rate than patients with simple congenital heart disease (CHD). To determine factors associated with death in the era of advanced pulmonary vasodilator treatment, we analyzed the characteristics of adult ES patients depending on underlying CHD. Simple septal defects and patent ductus arteriosus were classified as simple CHD, and other conditions were classified as complex CHD. Sixty-seven adult ES patients (50.7% women) were reviewed retrospectively. CHD was diagnosed at a median of 10.0 years of age and ES was diagnosed at 18.6 years. Thirteen patients (19.4%) died; the median age was 38.6 years (IQR 32.2–47.8). In a multivariate analysis, patients with SpO2 < 85% had a higher mortality rate than others [hazard ratio (HR) 9.7; 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.002–95.2, p = 0.05]. In simple CHD patients, those with a low platelet count (< 100 × 109/L) or low SpO2 (< 85%) were at a higher risk of death than those without (HR 16.32, 95% CI 1.25–2266.31, p = 0.032; and HR 38.91, 95% CI 3.44–5219.41, p = 0.001, respectively). Advanced pulmonary vasodilators were used more in survivors than in non-survivors (48.1% vs. 15.4%, p = 0.032). Low SpO2 and platelet count were related to mortality in adult ES, especially in those with simple CHD. Therefore, careful attention should be paid to the care of adult ES patients with this tendency; active pulmonary vasodilator treatment should be considered.
KeywordsEisenmenger syndrome Congenital heart disease Adult Platelet counts
We are grateful to Prof. So-hee Oh, Department of Statistics at the Seoul Metropolitan Government - Seoul National University, Boramae Medical Center.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
There are no conflicts of interest to declare.
- 2.Webb G, Mulder BJ, Aboulhosn J, Daniels CJ, Elizari MA, Hong G, Horlick E, Landzberg MJ, Marelli AJ, O’Donnell CP, Oechslin EN, Pearson DD, Pieper EP, Saxena A, Schwerzmann M, Stout KK, Warnes CA, Khairy P (2015) The care of adults with congenital heart disease across the globe: current assessment and future perspective: a position statement from the International Society for Adult Congenital Heart Disease (ISACHD). Int J Cardiol 195:326–333CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Diller GP, Kempny A, Alonso-Gonzalez R, Swan L, Uebing A, Li W, Babu-Narayan S, Wort SJ, Dimopoulos K, Gatzoulis MA (2015) Survival prospects and circumstances of death in contemporary adult congenital heart disease patients under follow-up at a large tertiary centre. Circulation 132(22):2118–2125CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Engelings CC, Helm PC, Abdul-Khaliq H, Asfour B, Bauer UM, Baumgartner H, Kececioglu D, Korten MA, Diller GP, Tutarel O (2016) Cause of death in adults with congenital heart disease—an analysis of the German National Register for congenital heart defects. Int J Cardiol 211:31–36CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Martin-Garcia AC, Arachchillage DR, Kempny A, Alonso-Gonzalez R, Martin-Garcia A, Uebing A, Swan L, Wort SJ, Price LC, McCabe C, Sanchez PL, Dimopoulos K, Gatzoulis MA (2018) Platelet count and mean platelet volume predict outcome in adults with Eisenmenger syndrome. Heart 104(1):45–50CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sakazaki H, Niwa K, Nakazawa M, Saji T, Nakanishi T, Takamuro M, Ueno M, Kato H, Takatsuki S, Matsushima M, Kojima N, Ichida F, Kogaki S, Kido S, Arakaki Y, Waki K, Akagi T, Joo K, Muneuchi J, Suda K, Lee HJ, Shintaku H (2013) Clinical features of adult patients with Eisenmenger’s syndrome in Japan and Korea. Int J Cardiol 167(1):205–209CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Diller GP, Dimopoulos K, Broberg CS, Kaya MG, Naghotra US, Uebing A, Harries C, Goktekin O, Gibbs JS, Gatzoulis MA (2006) Presentation, survival prospects, and predictors of death in Eisenmenger syndrome: a combined retrospective and case-control study. Eur Heart J 27(14):1737–1742CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Kempny A, Hjortshoj CS, Gu H, Li W, Opotowsky AR, Landzberg MJ, Jensen AS, Sondergaard L, Estensen ME, Thilen U, Budts W, Mulder BJ, Blok I, Tomkiewicz-Pajak L, Szostek K, D’Alto M, Scognamiglio G, Prokselj K, Diller GP, Dimopoulos K, Wort SJ, Gatzoulis MA (2017) Predictors of death in contemporary adult patients with Eisenmenger syndrome: a multicenter study. Circulation 135(15):1432–1440CrossRefGoogle Scholar