Giant Pulmonary Valve Cyst in a 7-Year-Old Child
- 119 Downloads
This report describes the diagnosis and surgical management of a pulmonary valve cystic mass in a symptomatic 7-year-old boy. Cardiac valve cysts are extremely rare beyond the age of 6 months and typically not associated with symptoms. These lesions may grow, leading to progressive stenosis, regurgitation, or ventricular outflow tract obstruction. Therefore, these lesions should be monitored for change in size and/or, hemodynamic changes. Surgical intervention may be required for symptomatic patients.
KeywordsCardiac valve cyst Right ventricular outflow tract obstruction Regurgitation Stenosis
This work did not require external financial support and is submitted with the full knowledge and approval of the listed co-authors.
Video clip 2 Transthoracic two-dimensional high-short parasternal view showing posterior and anterior pulmonic cysts. (AVI 17984 kb)
Video clip 3 Transthoracic two-dimensional parasternal long-axis view demonstrating large anterior and small posterior pulmonic cysts. (AVI 19244 kb)
- 1.Bharati S, Lev M (1996) The pathology of congenital heart disease: a personal experience with more than 6,300 congenitally malformed hearts, vol 1 and 2. Armonk, NY, pp 495–552, 1211–1246Google Scholar
- 3.Burke A, Virmani R (1996) Tumors of the heart and great vessels: atlas of tumor pathology. 3rd series, fascicle 16. Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC, p 79Google Scholar
- 4.Dod H, Bhardwaj R, Singh P, Massinople D, Sajja V, Williams HJ, Livengood RH, Jain A, Failinger C, Nanda NC (2009) Two-dimensional echocardiographic findings of pulmonary valve cyst secondary to pulmonary valvuloplasty. Echocardiography 26:865–867Google Scholar
- 8.Levinson SA, Learner A (1932) Blood cysts on the heart valves of newborn infants. Arch Pathol 14:810–817Google Scholar
- 9.Liese GJ, Brainard SC, Goto U (1963) Giant blood cyst of the pulmonary valve. N Engl J Med 269:465–467Google Scholar
- 10.McAllister HA Jr, Fenoglio JJ (1978) Tumors of the cardiovascular system: atlas of tumor pathology. 2nd series, fascicle 15. Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC, p 52Google Scholar
- 16.Perez y Perez A, Franco-Vazquez JS (1974) Severe pulmonary stenosis caused by a blood cyst: adequate surgical correction. Union Med Can 103:1594–1596Google Scholar
- 19.Sharma S, Strauss R, Swanson JS (2000) Giant blood cyst of the mitral valve. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 8:278–279Google Scholar