Quantifying and Minimizing Radiation Exposure During Pediatric Cardiac Catheterization
- 136 Downloads
This study reports findings from evaluations of new technologies to measure radiation exposure during pediatric cardiac catheterization procedures. A strategy of pulsed fluoroscopy and low power settings resulted in significantly lower patient radiation exposure compared to conventional 60 frames/sec, high-power settings during fluoroscopy. During radiofrequency ablation procedures, thyroid and thoracic skin sites outside the direct fluoroscopic field received minimal radiation exposure. Intrathoracic radiation exposure was measured with the use of an esophageal dosimeter. In conclusion, strategies to reduce total radiation exposure should be employed, radiation dose should be measured, and assessment of radiation skin injury should be included in postcatheterization assessment.
KeywordsX-ray Radiofrequency ablation Fluoroscopy
The authors thank Sonia Thomas for manuscript preparation and Ian Thomson for technical assistance and review of the manuscript.
- 2.Bower, M, Hintenlang, D 1999The characterization of a commercial MOSFET dosimeter system for use on diagnostic x-rayBr J Radiol72562568Google Scholar
- 3.Calkins, H, Niklason, L, Sousa, J 1991Radiation exposure during radiofrequency catheter ablation of accessory atrioventricular connectionsCirculation8423762382Google Scholar
- 4.Calkins, H, Rosenthal, L, Mahesh, M 2000Radiation exposure during radiofrequency catheter ablation proceduresHuang, SWilber, D eds. Radiofrequency Catheter Ablation of Cardiac Arrhythmias: Basic Concepts and Clinical Applications,2nd ednFuturaNew York793803Google Scholar
- 5.Fish, F, Steinberg, L, Macdonald, D 1997Radiation dosimetry during RFA in young patientsPACE201087Google Scholar
- 8.Lindsay, B, Eichling, J, Ambos, H 1992Radiation exposure to patients and medical personnel during radiofrequency catheter ablation for supraventricular tachycardiaAm J Cardiol72218223Google Scholar
- 9.Rosenthal, L, Mahesh, M, Beck, T, et al. 1998Predictors of fluoroscopy time and estimated radiation exposure during radiofrequency catheter ablation proceduresAm J Cardiol8245l458Google Scholar
- 11.U.S. Food, and Drug Administration1994Avoidance of Serious X-Ray Induced Skin Injuries to Patients during Fluoroscopy-Guided ProceduresU.S. Food and Drug AdministrationRockville, MDGoogle Scholar
- 12.Wu, J, Huang, T, Wu, D, Hsu, P, Weng, P 1991Radiation exposure of pediatric patients and physicians during cardiac catheterization and balloon pulmonary valvuloplastyAm J Cardiol68221225Google Scholar