On the Existence, Uniqueness and Regularity of Solutions of a Viscoelastic Stokes Problem Modelling Salt Rocks
A Stokes-type problem for a viscoelastic model of salt rocks is considered, and existence, uniqueness and regularity are investigated in the scale of \(L^2\)-based Sobolev spaces. The system is transformed into a generalized Stokes problem, and the proper conditions on the parameters of the model that guarantee that the system is uniformly elliptic are given. Under those conditions, existence, uniqueness and low-order regularity are obtained under classical regularity conditions on the data, while higher-order regularity is proved under less stringent conditions than classical ones. Explicit estimates for the solution in terms of the data are given accordingly.
KeywordsGeneralized Stokes problem Elliptic regularization Viscoelastic fluids Salt modelling
Mathematics Subject Classification35Q30 76D06 35B40 37A60
All the authors acknowledge the financial support of CENPES/PETROBRÁS. R.M.S. Rosa was also partly supported by CNPq, Brasília, Brazil.
- 3.Agmon, S.: Lectures on Elliptic Boundary Value Problems. Van Nostrand Mathematical Studies. Van Nostrand, Princeton (1965)Google Scholar
- 6.Ciarlet, P.G.: Mathematical Elasticity: Three-Dimensional Elasticity, vol 1. Studies in Mathematics & Its Applications. Elsevier, Amsterdam (1988)Google Scholar
- 7.Evans, L.C.: Partial Differential Equations, vol 19, 2nd edn. Graduate Studies in Mathematics. American Mathematical Society, Providence (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Greene, D.H., Knuth, D.E.: Mathematics for the Analysis of Algorithms. Reprint of the third edition (1990). Modern Birkhäuser Classics. Birkhäuser, Boston (2008)Google Scholar
- 26.Nečas, J.: Equations aux derivees partielles. Presses de Université de Montréal, Montreal (1965)Google Scholar
- 29.Teixeira, M.G., Liu, I.-S., Rincon, M.A., Cipolatti, R.A., Palermo, L.A.C.: The influence of temperature on the formation of salt domes. Int. J. Model. Simul. Pet. Ind. (Online) 8(2), 35–41 (2014)Google Scholar
- 30.Temam, R.: Navier–Stokes Equations. Theory and Numerical Analysis. Studies in Mathematics and its Applications, 2nd, 3rd edn. North-Holland, Amsterdam. Reedition in 2001 in the AMS Chelsea Series. AMS, Providence (1984)Google Scholar
- 32.Truesdell, C., Noll, W.: The Non-Linear Field Theories of Mechanics, 3rd edn. Edited and with a preface by Stuart S. Antman. Springer, Berlin (2004)Google Scholar