What is the role of vertebral augmentation for osteoporotic fractures? A review of the recent literature
Vertebral augmentation procedures such as vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty are utilized in the treatment of vertebral compression fractures (VCFs). However, their capacity for providing analgesia, reducing disability, and improving quality of life in patients with osteoporotic VCFs remains a topic of debate. The objective of this narrative review is to summarize the latest evidence for the safety and efficacy of vertebral augmentation for osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (VCFs).
A systematic literature search was conducted using the PubMed and Cochrane electronic databases for systematic reviews, review articles, meta-analyses, and randomized clinical trials prior to May 2017. The keywords were “vertebroplasty,” “kyphoplasty,” and “vertebral augmentation.”
Thirty-three papers (7 systematic reviews, 6 cohort studies, 15 randomized clinical trials, and 5 international guidelines) were included in this narrative review.
Vertebral augmentation is a safe procedure, with low rates of serious complications and no increase in subsequent post-treatment fracture risk.
KeywordsVertebral augmentation Vertebroplasty Kyphoplasty Osteoporosis Vertebral fracture
Compliance with ethical standards
No funding was received for this study.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
Statement of informed consent was not applicable since the manuscript does not contain any patient data.
- 4.Black DM, Cummings SR, Karpf DB, Cauley JA, Thompson DE, Nevitt MC, Bauer DC, Genant HK, Haskell WL, Marcus R, Ott SM, Torner JC, Quandt SA, Reiss TF, Ensrud KE (1996) Randomised trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Lancet 348(9041):1535–1541CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Jensen ME, McGraw JK, Cardella JF, Hirsch JA (2007) Position statement on percutaneous vertebral augmentation: a consensus statement developed by the American Society of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology, Society of Interventional Radiology, American Association of Neurological Surgeons/congress of neuro- logical surgeons, and American Society of Spine Radiology. J Vasc Interv Radiol 18:325–330CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Manchikanti L, Knezevic NN, Boswell MV, Kaye AD, Hirsch JA (2016) Epidural injections for lumbar radiculopathy and spinal stenosis: a comparative clinical review and meta-analysis. Pain Physician 19(3):365–410Google Scholar
- 23.Barr JD, Jensen ME, Hirsch JA, McGraw JK, Barr RM, Brook AL, Meyers PM, Munk PL, Murphy KJ, O'Toole JE, Rasmussen PA, Ryken TC, Sanelli PC, Schwartzberg MS, Seidenwurm D, Tutton SM, Zoarski GH, Kuo MD, Rose SC, Cardella JF, Society of Interventional Radiology, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, American College of Radiology, American Society of Neuroradiology, American Society of Spine Radiology, Canadian Interventional Radiology Association, Society of Neurointerventional Surgery (2014 Feb) Position statement on percutaneous vertebral augmentation: a consensus statement developed by the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR), American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) and the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), American College of Radiology (ACR), American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR), American Society of Spine Radiology (ASSR), Canadian Interventional Radiology Association (CIRA), and the Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery (SNIS). J Vasc Interv Radiol 25(2):171–181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvir.2013.10.001 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Anselmetti GC, Marcia S, Saba L, Muto M, Bonaldi G, Carpeggiani P, Marini S, Manca A, Masala S (2012) Percutaneous vertebroplasty: multi-centric results from EVEREST experience in large cohort of patients. Eur J Radiol 81(12):4083–4086. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2012.07.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Buchbinder R, Golmohammadi K, Johnston RV, Owen RJ, Homik J, Jones A, Dhillon SS, Kallmes DF, Lambert RGW, Cochrane Musculoskeletal Group (2015) Percutaneous vertebroplasty for osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture. Cochrane Database Syt Rev 4:CD006349. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006349.pub2 Google Scholar
- 30.Yang EZ, Xu JG, Huang GZ, Xiao WZ, Liu XK, Zeng BF, Lian XF (2016) Percutaneous vertebroplasty versus conservative treatment in aged patients with acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: a prospective randomized controlled clinical study. Spine (Phil Pa 1976) 41(8):653–660CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Clark W, Bird P, Gonski P, Diamond TH, Smerdely P, McNeil HP, Schlaphoff G, Bryant C, Barnes E, Gebski V (2016) Safety and efficacy of vertebroplasty for acute painful osteoporotic fractures (VAPOUR): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 388(10052):1408–1416. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)31341-1 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Wardlaw D, Cummings SR, Van Meirhaeghe J, Bastian L, Tillman JB, Ranstam J et al (2009) Efficacy and safety of balloon kyphoplasty compared with non-surgical care for vertebral compression fracture (FREE): a randomized controlled trial. Lancet 373:1016–1024. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60010-6 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Dohm M, Black CM, Dacre A, Tillman JB, Fueredi G, on behalf of the KAVIAR investigators (2014) A randomized trial comparing balloon kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty for vertebral compression fractures due to osteoporosis. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 35(12):2227–2236 https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A4127 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 43.Zhang H, Xu C, Zhang T, Gao Z, Zhang T (2017) Does percutaneous vertebroplasty or balloon kyphoplasty for osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures increase the incidence of new vertebral fractures? A meta-analysis. Pain Physician 20(1):13–28Google Scholar
- 44.Chandra RV, Meyers PM, Hirsch JA, Abruzzo T, Eskey CJ, Hussain MS, Lee SK, Narayanan S, Bulsara KR, Gandhi CD, Do HM, Prestigiacomo CJ, Albuquerque FC, Frei D, Kelly ME, Mack WJ, Pride GL, Jayaraman MV, on behalf of the Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery (2014) Vertebral augmentation: report of the Standards and Guidelines Committee of the Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery. J Neurointerv Surg 6:7–15CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar