Association between carotid plaque composition assessed by multidetector computed tomography and cerebral embolism after carotid stenting
- First Online:
- 226 Downloads
We aimed to assess the relationship between atherosclerotic carotid plaque composition analyzed using multidetector computed tomography (MDCT) and the appearance of new ischemic lesions detected by diffusion-weighted images (DWI) after carotid artery stenting (CAS).
We quantitatively and qualitatively analyzed plaque characteristics in carotid arteries using MDCT before CAS in 19 patients. Carotid plaques were expediently subdivided into four components with Hounsfield unit (HU) values of <0, 0–60, 60–130, and >600. The incidence of distal embolism was evaluated with DWI. Pearson's correlation analyses were used to assess the association between plaque composition and the incidence of cerebral embolization.
Fifteen patients (79%) demonstrated new DWI lesions after CAS. High-signal DWIs were noted as follows: one in six patients, 2 ~ 5 in five patients, 6 ~ 10 in two patients, and >10 in two patients. The mean volumes of the plaque components for HU < 0, 0–60, 60–130, and >600 were 5.4, 200, 260, and 59 mm3, respectively. There was a strong correlation between the number of high-signal DWI lesions in the ipsilateral side and the plaque volume of HU < 0 (r = 0.927; P < 0.0001). There was a moderate correlation between the number of high-signal DWI lesions and the plaque volume of HU 0–60 (r = 0.568; P = 0.0099) and the sum total of HU < 0 and HU 0–60 (r = 0.609; P = 0.0047).
Quantitative and qualitative tissue characterization of carotid plaques using MDCT might be a useful predictor for silent ischemic lesions after CAS.
KeywordsCarotid plaque Carotid stenting Diffusion-weighted imaging Distal embolism Multidetector computed tomography
- 4.Ringleb PA, Allenberg J, Bruckmann H, Eckstein HH, Fraedrich G, Hartmann M, Hennerici M, Jansen O, Klein G, Kunze A, Marx P, Niederkorn K, Schmiedt W, Solymosi L, Stingele R, Zeumer H, Hacke W (2006) 30 day results from the SPACE trial of stent-protected angioplasty versus carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients: a randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet 368:1239–1247PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Ederle J, Dobson J, Featherstone RL, Bonati LH, van der Worp HB, de Borst GJ, Lo TH, Gaines P, Dorman PJ, Macdonald S, Lyrer PA, Hendriks JM, McCollum C, Nederkoorn PJ, Brown MM (2010) Carotid artery stenting compared with endarterectomy in patients with symptomatic carotid stenosis (International Carotid Stenting Study): an interim analysis of a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 375:985–997PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Biasi GM, Froio A, Diethrich EB, Deleo G, Galimberti S, Mingazzini P, Nicolaides AN, Griffin M, Raithel D, Reid DB, Valsecchi MG (2004) Carotid plaque echolucency increases the risk of stroke in carotid stenting: the Imaging in Carotid Angioplasty and Risk of Stroke (ICAROS) study. Circulation 110:756–762PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.de Weert TT, Ouhlous M, Meijering E, Zondervan PE, Hendriks JM, van Sambeek MR, Dippel DW, van der Lugt A (2006) In vivo characterization and quantification of atherosclerotic carotid plaque components with multidetector computed tomography and histopathological correlation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:2366–2372PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Takaya N, Yuan C, Chu B, Saam T, Underhill H, Cai J, Tran N, Polissar NL, Isaac C, Ferguson MS, Garden GA, Cramer SC, Maravilla KR, Hashimoto B, Hatsukami TS (2006) Association between carotid plaque characteristics and subsequent ischemic cerebrovascular events: a prospective assessment with MRI—initial results. Stroke 37:818–823PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Bonati LH, Jongen LM, Haller S, Flach HZ, Dobson J, Nederkoorn PJ, Macdonald S, Gaines PA, Waaijer A, Stierli P, Jager HR, Lyrer PA, Kappelle LJ, Wetzel SG, van der Lugt A, Mali WP, Brown MM, van der Worp HB, Engelter ST (2010) New ischaemic brain lesions on MRI after stenting or endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis: a substudy of the International Carotid Stenting Study (ICSS). Lancet Neurol 9:353–362PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar