Angiographic evaluation of the effect of intra-arterial milrinone therapy in patients with vasospasm from aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage
- 601 Downloads
Several methods have been used to treat cerebral vasospasm, which is a major cause of morbidity and mortality in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH). Here, we examined the effectiveness and safety of intra-arterial injection of milrinone for the treatment of vasospasm.
Consecutive patients with angiographically confirmed vasospasm received intra-arterial milrinone between January 2006 and December 2007. The improvement in diameter of vessel (in millimeters) following treatment was assessed by paired t test for statistical significance. The angiographic improvement of supraclinoid internal carotid artery, M1 segment of middle cerebral artery, and A1 and A2 segment of anterior cerebral artery was compared with the modified Rankin score of the patients at discharge.
A total of 15 milrinone treatments were performed in 14 patients (11 females and 3 males) with mean age of 52.7 years (31–68 years). There was significant angiographic improvement after milrinone therapy (p < 0.0001).
Intra-arterial milrinone was a safe and effective treatment of cerebral vasospasm following aneurysmal SAH.
KeywordsMilrinone Aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage Vasospasm Angioplasty
We thank Betty Anne Shwartz, our research nurse, and Dr. Faisal Al-Azri, for their contribution in collecting clinical data.
Conflict of interest statement
We declare that we have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Kassel NF (1993) The role of vasospasm in overall outcome from aneurismal subarachnoid haemorrhage. In: Findlay JM (ed) Cerebral vasospasm. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 27–28Google Scholar
- 3.Macdonald RL, Weir B (1997) Cerebral vasospasm: prevention and treatment. In: Batjer HH, Caplan LR, Friberg L et al (eds) Cerebrovascular disease. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, pp 1111–1121Google Scholar
- 5.Kodama N, Mizoi K, Sakurai Y et al (1980) Incidence and onset of vasospasm. In: Wilkins RH (ed) Cerebral arterial spasm. Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp 361–365Google Scholar
- 18.Suzuki S, Ito O, Sayama T, Goto K (2010) Satoshi S, Osamu I, Tetsuro S, Katsuya G. Intra-arterial colforsin daropate for the treatment of cerebral vasospasm after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neuroradiology. doi: 10.1007/s00234-009-0631-7
- 24.Shankar JJS, Chakraborty S, Nugyen TB, Dos Santos M, Miller W, Lum C (2009) Whole brain CT perfusion on new 320 slice CT scanner: pictorial review—Electronic exhibit—in American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR) Conference—Vancouver, 16–21 May, 2009Google Scholar