KeywordsInverse Semigroup Regular Semigroup Semigroup Theory Simple Semigroup Cancellative Semigroup
The authors are enormously grateful to all the people who helped in the writing of this tribute: David Easdown; Des FitzGerald; John Fountain; Philip Gale of the National Archives; Victoria Gould; Janet Herrod of Abergavenny Museum; John Hickey; Stuart Margolis; Tim Porter; and Nicholas Rogers RSA, Archivist, Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. Christopher Hollings deserves a special mention for sharing with us unpublished material which will appear in his forthcoming book on the history of semigroup theory. The books [42, 43, 45] provided important background on the early years of Bletchley Park and the breaking of the Red Enigma cipher, whereas  contains accounts of the Newmanry. The Bletchley Park website contains a record of personnel at Bletchley Park during the war and where they worked. The MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive was an excellent source for biographical information on Sandy Green, Douglas Munn, Max Newman, David Rees and Gordon Preston. It also contains an article by Preston on the early history of semigroups. Information on John Herivel and Gordon Welchman may be found on wikipedia. Obituaries to David appeared in the main national British newspapers The Times, The Guardian and The Telegraph. Semigroup Forum did not allow us to include a complete bibliography of David’s work, only allowing us to include the papers we explicitly referred to. All his papers can be found via MathSciNet with the exception of [30, 34]. We also felt we had to mention here David’s one book .
David Rees on his election as a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1968. Photograph: Godfrey Argent Studio. The photograph at the beginning of this article shows David Rees.
- 1.Albert, A.A.: Structure of algebras. AMS, Amsterdam (1939)Google Scholar
- 6.Copeland, J.: Colossus. OUP, Oxford (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Howie, J.M.: An introduction to semigroups. Academic Press, Waltham (1976)Google Scholar
- 11.Perrot, J.-F.: Contribution a l’étude des monoï des syntactiques et de certains groupes associés aux automates finis. Thése, l’Université Paris VI, (1972)Google Scholar
- 30.Rees, D.: Réductions des idéaux et multiplicités dans les anneaux locaux, Séminaire DUBREIL-PISOT (Algèbre et Théorie des Nombres) 13e année, 1959/60, No. 8, 11 Janvier, pp. 6 (1960)Google Scholar
- 34.Rees, D., Absolute integral dependence on an ideal. Institut Mittag-Leffler, report no. 9, pp. 12 (1981)Google Scholar
- 38.Rees, D., Kirby, D.: Multiplicities in graded rings I. The general theory. Contemp. Math. 159 Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 209–267 (1994)Google Scholar
- 41.Rhodes, J.: Book review: The Algebraic Theory of Semigroups, by A. H. Clifford and G. B. Preston. Semigroups, by E. S. Ljapin. The Theory of Finitely Generated Commutative Semigroups, by Laszlo Redei. Elements of Compact Semigroups, by Karl Heinrich Hofmann and Paul. Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 76, 675–683 (1970)Google Scholar
- 42.Sebag-Montifiore, H.: Enigma: the battle for the code. New Edition, Phoenix (2004)Google Scholar
- 43.Smith, M.: Station X, Channel 4 Books, (1998)Google Scholar
- 44.Weil, A.: The foundations of algebraic geometry, vol. 29. American Mathematical Society Colloquium Publications, Providence (1946)Google Scholar
- 45.Welchman, G.: The hut six story. M & M Baldwin (2011)Google Scholar