Constructing numerical semigroups of a given genus
- First Online:
- 76 Downloads
Let ng denote the number of numerical semigroups of genus g. Bras-Amorós conjectured that ng possesses certain Fibonacci-like properties. Almost all previous attempts at proving this conjecture were based on analyzing the semigroup tree. We offer a new, simpler approach to counting numerical semigroups of a given genus. Our method gives direct constructions of families of numerical semigroups, without referring to the generators or the semigroup tree. In particular, we give an improved asymptotic lower bound for ng.
KeywordsNumerical semigroup Fibonacci number Genus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blanco, V., Puerto, J.: Computing the number of numerical semigroups using generating functions. Preprint arXiv:0901.1228
- 4.Bras-Amorós, M., Bulygin, S.: Towards a better understanding of the semigroup tree. Semigroup Forum. doi:10.1007/s00233-009-9175-8
- 6.Elizalde, S.: Improved bounds on the number of numerical semigroups of a given genus. Preprint arXiv:0905.0489
- 7.Sloane, N.J.A.: The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences, published electronically at www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/ (2009)
- 8.Zhao, Y.: Subsets characterized by the number of missing sums and differences. Preprint Google Scholar