Towards a better understanding of the semigroup tree
- 71 Downloads
In this paper we elaborate on the structure of the semigroup tree and the regularities on the number of descendants of each node observed earlier by the first author. These regularities admit two different types of behavior and in this work we investigate which of the two types takes place for some well-known classes of semigroups. Also we study the question of what kind of chains appear in the tree and characterize the properties (like being (in)finite) thereof. We conclude with some thoughts that show how this study of the semigroup tree may help in solving the conjecture of Fibonacci-like behavior of the number of semigroups with given genus.
KeywordsNumerical semigroup Fibonacci numbers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Blanco, V., Puerto, J.: Computing the number of numerical semigroups using generating functions. arXiv:0901.1228v1
- 8.Elizalde, S.: Improved bounds on the number of numerical semigroups of a given genus. arXiv:0905.0489v1
- 9.Høholdt, T., van Lint, J.H., Pellikaan, R.: Algebraic geometry codes. In: Pless, V.S., Huffman, W.C., Brualdi, R.A. (eds.) Handbook of Coding Theory, vol. I, pp. 871–961. Elsevier, Amsterdam (1998) Google Scholar
- 12.Rosales, J.C.: Families of numerical semigroups closed under finite intersections and for the Frobenius number. Houst. J. Math. (2008) Google Scholar
- 14.Rosales, J.C., García-Sánchez, P.A.: Numerical Semigrops. Springer (2009, to appear) Google Scholar