Spectroscopic, Polarographic, and Microcalorimetric Studies on Mitochondrial Dysfunction Induced by Ethanol
- 259 Downloads
Liver mitochondria are involved in several important life processes; mitochondrial dysfunction and disorders are implicated in several human diseases. Alcohol permeates all tissues of the body and exerts some intrinsic hepatotoxicity. In this work, our results demonstrated that ethanol caused a series of mitochondria permeability transition pore (MPTP) opening factors such as mitochondrial swelling, increased permeability of H+ and K+, collapsed membrane potential, and increased membrane fluidity. Furthermore, mitochondrial ultrastructure alternation observed clearly by transmission electron microscopy and the release of Cytochrome c could explain the MPTP opening from another aspect. Moreover, ethanol damaged the mitochondrial respiration system and induced disturbance of mitochondrial energy metabolism which was monitored by polarographic and microcalorimetric methods, respectively. Considered together, these damages may promote both apoptotic and necrotic cell death and contribute to the onset or progression alcohol-induced liver diseases.
KeywordsEthanol Mitochondria Membrane permeability transition Ultrastructure Microcalorimetry
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 21463008); Guangxi Natural Science Foundation Program (No. 2012GXNSFBA053119); and the Foundation of State Key Laboratory for the Chemistry and Molecular Engineering of Medicinal Resources (CMEMR2012 -A10).
- Baracca A, Sgarbi G, Solaini G, Lenaz G (2003) Rhodamine 123 as a probe of mitochondrial membrane potential: evaluation of proton flux through F0 during ATP synthesis. Biochim Biophys Acta 1606(1–3):137–146Google Scholar
- Eliseev RA, Salter JD, Gunter KK, Gunter TE (2003) Bcl-2 and tBid proteins counter-regulate mitochondrial potassium transport. Biochim Biophys Acta 1604(1):1–5Google Scholar
- Kurose I, Higuchi H, Kato S, Miura S, Watanabe N, Kamegaya Y, Tomita K, Takaishi K, Horie Y, Fukuda M, Mizukami K, Ishii H (1997) Oxidative stress on mitochondria and cell membrane of cultured rat hepatocytes and perfused liver exposed to ethanol. Gastroenterology 112(4):1331–1343CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Marchi S, Giorgi C, Suski JM, Agnoletto C, Bononi A, Bonora M, De Marchi E, Missiroli S, Patergnani S, Poletti F, Rimessi A, Duszynski J, Wieckowski MR, Pinton P (2012) Mitochondria-Ros crosstalk in the control of cell death and aging. J Signal Transduct, Article ID 329635. doi: 10.1155/2012/329635
- Petronilli V, Sileikyte J, Zulian A, Dabbeni-Sala F, Jori G, Gobbo S, Tognon G, Nikolov P, Bernardi P, Ricchelli F (2009) Switch from inhibition to activation of the mitochondrial permeability transition during hematoporphyrin-mediated photooxidative stress: unmasking pore-regulating external thiols. Biochim Et Biophys Acta 1787(7):897–904CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pon LA, Schon EA (2007) Methods in cell biology, vol 80: mitochondria, 2nd edn. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar