Experimental study on distributed optical fiber heated-based seepage behavior identification in hydraulic engineering
- 41 Downloads
The theoretical analysis and physical experiment on seepage behavior identification with distributed optical fiber temperature sensor system (DTS) are implemented. The distributed optical fiber-based approaches monitoring the seepage velocity and phreatic line in embankment dam or dike engineering are proposed. Firstly, the physical heat transfer process between optical fiber and porous material is analyzed. The basic principle identifying seepage behavior according to optical fiber temperature is presented. Secondly, a DTS-based test platform identifying seepage behavior in embankment dam or dike engineering is developed. Thirdly, the heat transfer coefficient in heat transfer theory is adopted to describe the heat transfer between optical fiber and saturated porous material. The experimental analysis for the relationship between overall heat transfer coefficient (i.e., the ratio of heating power and temperature rise) and seepage velocity is implemented. The mathematical model representing above relationship is built and an empirical method is given to monitor the seepage velocity in hydraulic engineering. Fourthly, the effect of moisture content on optical fiber temperature rise is analyzed by the experiment. The optical fiber arrangement plan is designed to monitor the phreatic line in embankment dam or dike engineering, the method is proposed to determine the position of phreatic line.
This research has been partially supported by the National Key Research and Development Program of China (SN: 2017YFC0804607, 2016YFC0401601), National Natural Science Foundation of China (SN: 51579083, 51739003, 51479054, 41323001), Open Foundation of State Key Laboratory of Hydrology-Water Resources and Hydraulic Engineering (SN: 20165042112, 20145027612), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (SN: 2015B25414).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 1.Yousefi S, Ghiassi R, Noorzad A, Ghaemian M, Kharaghani S (2013) Application of temperature simulation for seepage inspection in earth-fill dams. Gradevinar 65(9):825–832Google Scholar
- 11.Leng YB, Zhu YP, Zhou Y (2007) Monitoring technology for embankment dam safety based on distributed optical fiber sensing and its prospect. Prog Geophys 22(3):1001–1005Google Scholar
- 14.Chen X, Chen J, Wang T, Zhou H, Liu L (2016) Characterization of seepage velocity beneath a complex rock mass dam based on entropy theory. Entropy 18(8):1–11Google Scholar
- 15.Xiao HL, Cai DS (2008) Discussion on mechanism of distributed fiber optical leakage monitoring technology based on temperature measurement. Rock Soil Mech 29:550–554Google Scholar
- 16.Xiao HL, Bao H, Wang CY, Cai DS (2008) Research on theory of seepage monitoring based on distributed optical fiber sensing technology. Rock Soil Mech 10:2794–2798Google Scholar