Numerical design of a Knudsen pump with curved channels operating in the slip flow regime
- 453 Downloads
A numerical procedure has been developed for modeling 2D thermal creep flows with Fluent®. Complete first order velocity slip, including thermal creep and walls curvature effects, as well as temperature jump, boundary conditions, are implemented via C routines. After validation on benchmark flows, the technique is used for designing a Knudsen pump with curved microchannels and it is demonstrated that this micropump can be efficient in the slip flow regime.
KeywordsMass Flow Rate Velocity Slip Knudsen Number Temperature Jump Straight Channel
The research leading to these results has received funding from the European Community’s Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) under Grant Agreement GASMEMS no 215504. The authors thank Prof. Luc Mieussens and Prof. Kazuo Aoki for the provided comments and tabulated data from their published works.
- 6.Bird GA (1998) Molecular gas dynamics and the direct simulation of gas flows. Clarendon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 7.Karniadakis GE, Beskok A, Aluru NR (2005) Microflows and nanoflows: fundamentals and simulation. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 19.Pham-Van-Diep G, Keely P, Muntz EP, Weaver DP (1995) A micromachined Knudsen compressor. Proceedings of the 19th international symposium on rarefied gas dynamics, London, pp 715–721Google Scholar
- 20.Vargo SE, Muntz EP (1996) A simple micromachined compressor and vacuum pump for flow control and other distributed applications. Proceedings of the 34th aerospace sciences meeting and exhibit, Reno, pp 1–15Google Scholar
- 23.Sugimoto H (2009) Experiment on the gas separation effect of the pump driven by the thermal edge flow. In: Abe T (ed) Rarefied gas dynamics: 26th international symposium American Institute of Physics, pp 1123–1128Google Scholar
- 25.Gupta NK, Gianchandani YB (2008) Thermal transpiration in zeolites: a mechanism for motionless gas pumps. Appl Phys Lett 93. doi: 10.1063/1.3025304
- 28.Aoki K, Takata S, Tatsumi E, Yoshida H (2010) Rarefied gas flows through a curved channel: application of a diffusion-type equation. Phys Fluid 22 doi: 10.1063/1.3496315
- 37.Kandlikar SG, Garimella S, Li D, Colin S, King MR (2013) Heat transfer and fluid flow in minichannels and microchannels, 2nd edn. Elsevier, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 38.Pitakarnnop J, Geoffroy S, Colin S, Baldas L (2008) Slip flow in triangular and trapezoidal microchannels. Int J Heat Technol 26:167–174Google Scholar