Distances of elements in valued field extensions
- 29 Downloads
We develop a modification of a notion of distance of an element in a valued field extension introduced by F.-V. Kuhlmann. We show that the new notion preserves the main properties of the distance and at the same time gives more complete information about a valued field extension. We study valued field extensions of prime degree to show the relation between the distances of the elements and the corresponding extensions of value groups and residue fields. In connection with questions related to defect extensions of valued function fields of positive characteristic, we present constructions of defect extensions of rational function fields K(x, y)|K generated by elements of various distances from K(x, y). In particular, we construct dependent Artin–Schreier defect extensions of K(x, y) of various distances.
Mathematics Subject Classification12J10 12J25
- 1.Blaszczok, A.: On the structure of immediate extensions of valued fields, Ph.D. thesis, University of Silesia (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Blaszczok, A.: Infinite towers of Artin–Schreier defect extensions of rational function fields. In: Second International Conference and Workshop on Valuation Theory (Segovia/El Escorial, Spain, 2011), EMS Series of Congress Reports, vol. 10, pp. 16–54 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Karpilovsky, G.: Topics in Field Theory. Mathematics Studies, vol. 155. North Holland, Amsterdam (1989)Google Scholar
- 16.Kuhlmann, F.-V.: Additive polynomials and their role in the model theory of valued fields. In: Logic in Tehran, Proceedings of the Workshop and Conference on Logic, Algebra, and Arithmetic, held October 18–22, 2003. Lecture Notes in Logic, vol. 26, pp. 160–203 (2006)Google Scholar
- 19.Kuhlmann, F.-V.: Defect. In: Fontana, M., Kabbaj, S.-E., Olberding, B., Swanson, I. (eds.) Commutative Algebra–Noetherian and non-Noetherian Perspectives, pp. 277–318. Springer, Berlin (2011)Google Scholar
- 21.Kuhlmann, F.–V.: Valuation Theory, Book in Preparation. http://math.usask.ca/~fvk/Fvkbook.htm
- 22.Kuhlmann, F.-V. and Piltant, O., Higher ramification groups for Artin–Schreier defect extensions. (in preparation)Google Scholar
- 24.Lang, S.: Algebra Graduate Texts in Mathematics. Springer, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 26.Warner, S.: Topological Fields. Mathematics Studies, vol. 157. North Holland, Amsterdam (1989)Google Scholar
- 27.Zariski, O., Samuel, P.: Commutative Algebra. vol. II. New York (1960)Google Scholar
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.