Prevalence of use of antipsychotic drugs in the elderly in Catalonia
Montastruc et al.  reported an annual prevalence of use of antipsychotic drugs (APs) of 2.0% in the general population and 3.6% among those ≥ 65 years old in France.
The use of AP in the elderly is of concern. Systematic reviews by regulatory agencies [2, 3] have concluded that the use of APs for the treatment of aggression and psychotic symptoms in elderly patients with dementia increases mortality by twofold. In 2008, the European national regulatory agencies recommended limiting the use of APs to patients not responding to other interventions during the shortest possible period and to reconsider their prescription at every follow-up visit, with close patient follow-up .
In spite of these recommendations, in Catalonia between 2008 and 2013, the consumption by the general population of AP increased from 9.8 to 11.9 defined daily doses (DDD) per 1000 inhabitants and per day .
We examined the use of APs among the elderly in the Catalan Health Service (CHS) prescription claims...
- 2.US FDA (2005) http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/postmarketdrugsafetyinformationforpatientsandproviders/drugsafetyinformationforhealthcareprofessionals/publishealthadvisories/ucm053171.htm The document has been removed from the FDA website. The systematic review is described in: Schneider LS, Dagerman K, Insel P (2005) Risk of death with atypical antipsychotic drug treatment for dementia: meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials. JAMA 294:1934–43
- 3.European Medicines Agency (2008) http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Report/2010/01/WC500054057.pdf
- 4.AEMPS (2008) Antipsicóticos clásicos y aumento de mortalidad en pacientes ancianos con demencia Nota Informativa Ref 2008/19. http://www.aemps.gob.es/informa/notasInformativas/medicamentosUsoHumano/seguridad/2008/docs/NI_2008-19_antipsicoticos.pdf
- 5.Butlletí Groc (2017) Antipsicóticos: mala ciencia, pseudoinnovación, prescripción desbordada y yatrogenia 29:9–18. https://www.icf.uab.cat/assets/pdf/productes/bg/es/bg293-4.16e.pdf
- 12.Oteri A, Mazzaglia G, Pecchioli S, Molokhia M, Ulrichsen SP, Pedersen L, Poluzzi E, de Ponti F, Garbe E, Schink T, Herings R, Bezemer ID, Sturkenboom MCJM, Trifirò G (2016) Prescribing pattern of antipsychotic drugs during the years 1996–2010: a population-based database study in Europe with a focus on torsadogenic drugs. Br J Clin Pharmacol 82:487–497CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Schneider LS, Tariot PN, Dagerman KS, Davis SM, Hsiao JK, Ismail MS, Lebowitz BD, Lyketsos CG, Ryan JM, Stroup TS, Sultzer DL, Weintraub D, Lieberman JA, CATIE-AD Study Group (2006) Effectiveness of atypical antipsychotic drugs in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. N Engl J Med 355:1525–1538CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar