Content validation of a tool for assessing risks for drug-related problems to be used by practical nurses caring for home-dwelling clients aged ≥65 years: a Delphi survey
- First Online:
- 427 Downloads
Home care services are becoming a critically important part of health care delivery as populations are aging. Those using home care services are increasingly older, more frail than previously, and use multiple medications, making them vulnerable to drug-related problems (DRPs). Practical nurses (PN) visit home-dwelling aged clients frequently and, thus, are ideally situated to identify potential DRPs and, if needed, to communicate them to physicians for resolution. This study developed and validated the content of a tool to be used by PNs for assessing DRP risks for their home-dwelling clients aged ≥65 years.
The first draft of the tool was based on two systematic literature reviews and clinical experience of our research group. Content validity of the tool was determined by a three-round Delphi survey with a panel of 18 experts in geriatric care and pharmacotherapy. An agreement by ≥80 % of the panel on an item was required.
The final tool consists of 18 items that assess risks for DRPs in home-dwelling aged clients. It is divided into four sections: (1) Basic Client Data, (2) Potential Risks for DRPs in Medication Use, (3) Characteristics of the Client’s Care and Adherence, and (4) Recommendations for Actions to Resolve DRPs.
The Delphi process resulted in a structured DRP Risk Assessment Tool that is focused on the highest priority DRPs that should be identified and resolved. The tool also assists the PNs to identify solutions to these problems, which is a unique feature compared to similarly purposed prior tools.
KeywordsGeriatric pharmacotherapy Adverse drug reactions Drug-related problems Risk management Patient safety Primary care
- 1.Pharmaceutical Care Network Europe (PCNE) (2009) http://www.pcne.org/sig/drp/drug-related-problems.php Accessed 18 December 2013
- 6.Teperi J, Porter ME, Vuorenkoski L, Baron JF (2009) The Finnish health care system: a value-based perspective, Sitra Reports 82. http://www.isc.hbs.edu/pdf/Finnish_Health_Care_System_SITRA2009.pdf Accessed 2 October 2013
- 7.World Health Organisation (WHO) (2012): Home care across Europe 2012, current structure and future challenges. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/181799/e96757.pdf Assessed 13 October 2013
- 9.National Institute for Health and Welfare (2012). Statistical yearbook on social welfare and health care 2012. http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-245-784-4 Accessed 2 October 2013
- 22.Finnish National Board of Education (2011) Vocational Qualification In Social and Health Care, Practical Nurse 2010 , Regulation 17/011/2010 Publications 2011:21 http://www.oph.fi/download/140436_vocational_qualification_in_social_and_healthcare_2010.pdf Accessed 13 October 2013
- 23.Dalkey N, Helmer O (1962) An experimental application of the Delphi method to the use of experts. The RAND corporation, Santa Monica, California 1962, Available at: http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_memoranda/2009/RM727.1.pdf. Accessed 23 January 2014
- 24.Mother D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J et al for the PRISMA Group (2009) Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. PLoS Med 2009;6;e1000097 http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.1000097 Accessed 23 March 2013
- 26.© Metodix, Futunet, Internetix (2010) eDelfoi.fi 3.0 http://www.edelphi.fi/en/. Accessed 26 February 2011
- 40.Dimitrow M, Leikola S, Kivelä SL, Airaksinen M, Mykkänen S, Puustinen J (2013) Inappropriate medication use among the aged. Review of the criteria. Duodecim. 129:1159–1566 Review. Finnish, Abstract in EnglishGoogle Scholar