Use of addictive anxiolytics and hypnotics in a national cohort of incident users in Norway
- 293 Downloads
To examine (1) incidence rates for treatment with addictive anxiolytics and hypnotics in Norway, (2) the proportions initiated by general practitioners (GPs), psychiatrists, and other physicians, and (3) the course of the treatment among incident users during a 3.5 year follow-up period.
Data on all prescriptions of anxiolytics (ATC code N05B) and hypnotics (N05C) dispensed to the general population from 1 January 2004 to 31 August 2009 were extracted from the Norwegian Prescription Database and merged with data about GPs from the Norwegian Regular General Practitioner Scheme.
One-year incidence rates per 1,000 inhabitants were 18.2 for anxiolytics, 24.5 for hypnotics, and 35.4 for anxiolytics and hypnotics combined. GPs and psychiatrists initiated the treatment to 75.4 and 2.4%, respectively. Only 30.8% received short-term treatment as recommended. Long-term use (11.8%) and heavy use (1.4%) were most common for treatments initiated by a GP, but the risk both of long-term and of heavy use was highest for patients initially treated by a psychiatrist. The amount redeemed during the first quarter was the strongest predictor of long-term use and of heavy use. However, even during the quarter with highest drug consumption, 81.5% of the patients received <1 DDD/day.
This study indicates that physicians’ prescribing strategy towards initial users is crucial in order to prevent inappropriate drug use. There is a need to implement relevant guidelines and systems for structured clinical audits in general practice.
KeywordsAnxiolytics Hypnotics Incidence Long-term use General practitioners Psychiatrists
We thank the Fund for Research in General Practice, the Norwegian Medical Association, and the Norwegian Directorate of Health for grants supporting this study. The authors thank professor Stein Atle Lie at Uni Research, Bergen, for his statistical advice.
Declaration of interest
- 1.The Norwegian Institute of Public Health (2010) Addictive drugs. http://www.fhi.no/dokumenter/9f4576d31a.PDF
- 6.Bandelow B, Zohar J, Hollander E, Kasper S, Moller HJ, Allgulander C, Ayuso-Gutierrez J, Baldwin DS, Buenvicius R, Cassano G, Fineberg N, Gabriels L, Hindmarch I, Kaiya H, Klein DF, Lader M, Lecrubier Y, Lepine JP, Liebowitz MR, Lopez-Ibor JJ, Marazziti D, Miguel EC, Oh KS, Preter M, Rupprecht R, Sato M, Starcevic V, Stein DJ, van Ameringen M, Vega J (2008) World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP) guidelines for the pharmacological treatment of anxiety, obsessive-compulsive and post-traumatic stress disorders—first revision. World J Biol Psychiatry 9:248–312PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.World Health Organization (2009) Pharmacological treatment of mental disorders in primary health care. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2009/9789241547697_eng.pdf
- 9.Norwegian Board of Health Supervision (2001) Vanedannende legemidler, forskrivning og forsvarlighet. http://www.helsetilsynet.no/upload/Publikasjoner/andrepublikasjoner/vanedannende_legemidler_forskrivning_forsvarlighet_ik-2755.pdf
- 10.Norwegian Medicines Agency (2000) Behandling av søvnvansker. http://www.legemiddelverket.no/upload/76527/publikasjon8-2000.pdf
- 14.Norwegian Medicines Agency (2002) Flunitrazepam: legemidler som inneholder flunitrazepam omklassifiseres til reseptgruppe A fra 2003-01-01. http://www.slv.no/templates/InterPage_16527.aspx
- 15.NOMESCO (2009) Medicines consumption in the Nordic countries 2004–2008. Nordic Medico Statistical Committee. http://nomesco-eng.nom-nos.dk/filer/publikationer/Medicines%20consumption%202004-2008%20web.pdf
- 17.The Norwegian Institute of Public Health (2009) The Norwegian prescription database. http://www.norpd.no/
- 18.WHO Collaborating Center for Drug Statistics Methodology (2010) ATC / DDD index 2010. http://www.whocc.no/atc_ddd_index/
- 19.The Ministry of Health and Care Services (2000) Regulation relating to a Municipal Regular GP Scheme. http://www.regjeringen.no/en/dep/hod/dok/lover_regler/reglement/2000/regulation-relating-to-a-municipal-regul.html?id=420530
- 22.Norwegian Social Science Data Services (2010) Data from the regular GP scheme, individual level data. http://www.nsd.uib.no/nsd/english/individualdata.html
- 23.Statistics Norway (2010) StatBank Norway. http://statbank.ssb.no//statistikkbanken/default_fr.asp?PLanguage=1
- 26.Norwegian Medicines Agency (2010) Referat fra møte i bivirkningsnemda. http://www.legemiddelverket.no/upload/10-10305-2%20Referat%20fra%20møte%20i%20Bivirkningsnemnda%2027052010%20endelig%201528979.pdf