Prescription of anti-osteoporosis drugs during 2004–2007—a nationwide register study in Norway
- 271 Downloads
To assess 1-year prevalence, incidence rates and minimum refill of anti-osteoporosis drug use in Norway by age, gender and place of residence during 2004–2007.
Data from patients aged ≥ 40 years receiving anti-osteoporosis drugs (AOD) were retrieved from the Norwegian Prescription Database (NorPD). AOD were defined as bisphosphonates (alendronate with or without cholecalciferol, risedronate, ibandronate and etidronate with or without calcium), raloxifene, teriparatide and nasal calcitonin. The NorPD covers the total Norwegian population in ambulatory care. Key measurements were 1-year prevalence, incidence rate and minimum refill.
Among Norwegian women and men ≥ 40 years, 4.3 and 0.45% respectively used AOD in 2004. In 2007, the prevalence of AOD use had slightly increased to 4.6% in women and to 0.52% in men. In 2007, 90% of users were women. The use of alendronate, representing 88% of all AOD use in 2007, increased from 2004 to 2007 while the use of other bisphosphonates decreased. The counties with highest overall bisphosphonate use were the counties with the historically lowest incidence of osteoporotic fractures. The incidence rate of overall bisphosphonate use decreased from 2005 to 2007. Among those patients who were dispensed a bisphosphonate in 2005, 72% refilled at least one prescription both in 2006 and 2007.
There was an increasing prevalence and a decreasing incidence of AOD use over this limited time period. There was substantial geographical variation in the prevalence of anti-osteoporosis drugs. We also observed a high minimum refill rate.
KeywordsOsteoporosis Bisphosphonates Prescription drug use Norway Minimum refill Anti-osteoporosis drugs
- 3.Lunt M, Felsenberg D, Adams J, Benevolenskaya L, Cannata J, Dequeker J, Dodenhof C, Falch JA, Johnell O, Khaw KT, Masaryk P, Pols H, Poor G, Reid D, Scheidt-Nave C, Weber K, Silman AJ, Reeve J (1997) Population-based geographic variations in DXA bone density in Europe: the EVOS Study. European Vertebral Osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 7:175–189CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Rossouw JE, Anderson GL, Prentice RL, LaCroix AZ, Kooperberg C, Stefanick ML, Jackson RD, Beresford SA, Howard BV, Johnson KC, Kotchen JM, Ockene J (2002) Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results from the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. JAMA 288:321–333CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Furu K (2008) Establishment of the nationwide Norwegian Prescription Database (NorPD)—new opportunities for research in pharmacoepidemiology in Norway. Norsk Epidemiologi 18:129–136Google Scholar
- 11.Rønning M (2008) WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics methodology. Guidelines for ATC classification and DDD assignment 2008, 11 ed. WHO, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 12.Rønning M (2008) Drug Consumption in Norway 2003-2007.Norwegian Institute of Public Health. Available via http://www.legemiddelforbruk.no/english/. Accessed 15 Jul 2008
- 13.Norwegian Institute of Public Health (2008) The Norwegian Prescription Database. http://www.norpd.no/. Accessed 1 Nov 2008
- 15.Gabrielsen B, Lillegård M, Otnes B, Abrahamsen D, Strand P (2008) Individual based statistics of care and nursing services in the community] (in Norwegian). http://www.ssb.no/emner/03/02/notat_200842/notat_200842.pdf Accessed 15 Jan 2009
- 20.The National Board of Health and Welfare, Sweden (2008) [Pharmaceuticals—statistics for 2007]. http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/NR/rdonlyres/4F805341-CF4F-4997-B770-CD181AB9EAFF/10179/2008461.pdf. Accessed 16 Feb 2009
- 22.The Danish Medicines Agency (2009) [Annual statistics on medicinal products]. http://www.medstat.dk/. Accessed 15 Feb 2009
- 25.Norwegian Medicines Agency (2007) The stepped price model. http://www.legemiddelverket.no/upload/Dokumenter/Legemiddeløkonomi/Trinnprismodellen.eng.off.071024.pdf. Accessed 2 Jul 2008
- 26.Norwegian Medicines Agency (undated) [Osteoporosis and reimbursement]. http://www.legemiddelverket.no/templates/InterPage_60535.aspx. Accessed 2 Jul 2008
- 27.The Norwegian Labour and Welfare administration (2006) [Control of reimbursed drugs. Report on physicians prescribing in reimbursement code 42 (established osteoporosis)]. http://www.nav.no/binary?id=1073752918&download=true. Accessed 21 Jul 2008
- 28.The Norwegian Labour and Welfare administration (2008) [Controll of reimbursed drugs. Report on physicians prescribing in reimbursement code 42 (established osteoporosis)]. http://www.nav.no/binary?id=805477010&download=true. Accessed 21 Jul 2008