Improved Lower Bounds on the Price of Stability of Undirected Network Design Games
- 193 Downloads
Bounding the price of stability of undirected network design games with fair cost allocation is a challenging open problem in the Algorithmic Game Theory research agenda. Even though the generalization of such games in directed networks is well understood in terms of the price of stability (it is exactly H n , the n-th harmonic number, for games with n players), far less is known for network design games in undirected networks. The upper bound carries over to this case as well while the best known lower bound is 42/23≈1.826. For more restricted but interesting variants of such games such as broadcast and multicast games, sublogarithmic upper bounds are known while the best known lower bound is 12/7≈1.714. In the current paper, we improve the lower bounds as follows. We break the psychological barrier of 2 by showing that the price of stability of undirected network design games is at least 348/155≈2.245. Our proof uses a recursive construction of a network design game with a simple gadget as the main building block. For broadcast and multicast games, we present new lower bounds of 20/11≈1.818 and 1.862, respectively.
KeywordsNash Equilibrium Direct Edge Multicast Tree Unique Nash Equilibrium Broadcast Tree
We would like to thank George Christodoulou and Martin Hoefer for helpful discussions at early stages of this work.
- 3.Caragiannis, I., Flammini, M., Kaklamanis, C., Kanellopoulos, P., Moscardelli, L.: Tight bounds for selfish and greedy load balancing. In: Proceedings of the 33rd International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP). LNCS, vol. 4051, pp. 311–322. Springer, Berlin (2006) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Christodoulou, G., Koutsoupias, E.: The price of anarchy and stability of correlated equilibria of linear congestion games. In: Proceedings of the 13th Annual European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA). LNCS, vol. 3669, pp. 59–70. Springer, Berlin (2005) Google Scholar
- 7.Fiat, A., Kaplan, H., Levy, M., Olonetsky, S., Shabo, R.: On the price of stability for designing undirected networks with fair cost allocations. In: Proceedings of the 33rd International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP). LNCS, vol. 4051, pp. 608–618. Springer, Berlin (2006) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Koutsoupias, E., Papadimitriou, C.: Worst-case equilibria. In: Proceedings of the 16th International Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science (STACS). LNCS, vol. 1563, pp. 404–413. Springer, Berlin (1999) Google Scholar
- 10.Papadimitriou, C.H.: Algorithms, games and the internet. In: Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC), pp. 749–753 (2001) Google Scholar