Two Sources Are Better than One for Increasing the Kolmogorov Complexity of Infinite Sequences
- 49 Downloads
The randomness rate of an infinite binary sequence is characterized by the sequence of ratios between the Kolmogorov complexity and the length of the initial segments of the sequence. It is known that there is no effective procedure that transforms one input sequence into another sequence with higher randomness rate. By contrast, we display such a uniform effective procedure having as input two independent sequences with positive but arbitrarily small constant randomness rate. Moreover the transformation is a truth-table reduction and the output has randomness rate arbitrarily close to 1.
KeywordsKolmogorov complexity Hausdorff dimension
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barak, B., Impagliazzo, R., Wigderson, A.: Extracting randomness using few independent sources. In: Proceedings of the 36th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 384–393 (2004) Google Scholar
- 2.Bienvenu, L., Doty, D., Stephan, F.: Constructive dimension and weak truth-table degrees. In: Computation and Logic in the Real World—Third Conference of Computability in Europe. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 4497, pp. 63–72. Springer, Berlin (2007) Google Scholar
- 3.Buhrman, H., Fortnow, L., Newman, I., Vereshchagin, N.: Increasing Kolmogorov complexity. In: Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 3404, pp. 412–421. Springer, Berlin (2005) Google Scholar
- 6.Fortnow, L., Hitchcock, J., Pavan, A., Vinodchandran, N.V., Wang, F.: Extracting Kolmogorov complexity with applications to dimension zero-one laws. In: Proceedings of the 33rd International Colloquium on Automata, Languages, and Programming. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 4051, pp. 335–345. Springer, Berlin (2006) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Miller, J.: Extracting information is hard: a Turing degree of non-integral effective Hausdorff dimension. Adv. Math. (2008, to appear). Manuscript available at http://www.math.uconn.edu/~josephmiller/Papers/dimension.pdf
- 10.Nies, A., Reimann, J.: A lower cone in the wtt degrees of non-integral effective dimension. In: Proceedings of IMS Workshop on Computational Prospects of Infinity, Singapore (2006, to appear) Google Scholar
- 11.Reimann, J.: Computability and fractal dimension. Technical report, Universität Heidelberg (2004). Ph.D. thesis Google Scholar
- 13.Shen, A.: Algorithmic information theory and Kolmogorov complexity. Technical Report 2000-034, Uppsala Universitet (December 2000) Google Scholar
- 16.Zimand, M.: Extracting the Kolmogorov complexity of strings and sequences from sources with limited independence. In: Albers, S., Marion, J.-Y. (eds.) Proceedings 26th STACS, Freiburg, Germany, February 26–29, 2009, pp. 697–708 Google Scholar