Trimmed Moebius Inversion and Graphs of Bounded Degree
- 82 Downloads
We study ways to expedite Yates’s algorithm for computing the zeta and Moebius transforms of a function defined on the subset lattice. We develop a trimmed variant of Moebius inversion that proceeds point by point, finishing the calculation at a subset before considering its supersets. For an n-element universe U and a family ℱ of its subsets, trimmed Moebius inversion allows us to compute the number of packings, coverings, and partitions of U with k sets from ℱ in time within a polynomial factor (in n) of the number of supersets of the members of ℱ.
Relying on an projection theorem of Chung et al. (J. Comb. Theory Ser. A 43:23–37, 1986) to bound the sizes of set families, we apply these ideas to well-studied combinatorial optimisation problems on graphs with maximum degree Δ. In particular, we show how to compute the domatic number in time within a polynomial factor of (2Δ+1−2)n/(Δ+1) and the chromatic number in time within a polynomial factor of (2Δ+1−Δ−1)n/(Δ+1). For any constant Δ, these bounds are O((2−ε) n ) for ε>0 independent of the number of vertices n.
KeywordsGraph algorithms Inclusion-exclusion Chromatic number Domatic number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Björklund, A., Husfeldt, T., Kaski, P., Koivisto, M.: Fourier meets Möbius: fast subset convolution. In: Proceedings of the 39th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (San Diego, CA, June 11–13, 2007), pp. 67–74. Assoc. Comput. Mach., New York (2007) Google Scholar
- 4.Björklund, A., Husfeldt, T., Koivisto, M.: Set partitioning via inclusion–exclusion. In: SIAM J. Comput. (2009, to appear). Prelim. versions in Proceedings of the 47th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (Berkeley, CA, Oct. 21–24, 2006), pp. 575–582, 583–590. IEEE Comput. Soc., Los Alamitos (2006) Google Scholar
- 7.Byskov, J.M.: Exact algorithms for graph colouring and exact satisfiability, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Aarhus (2004) Google Scholar
- 10.Fomin, F.V., Grandoni, F., Pyatkin, A.V., Stepanov, A.A.: Bounding the number of minimal dominating sets: a measure and conquer approach. In: Proceedings of the 16th International Symposium on Algorithms and Computation (Sanya, Hainan, China, Dec. 19–21, 2005). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 3827, pp. 573–582. Springer, Berlin (2005) Google Scholar
- 11.Fomin, F.V., Gaspers, S., Saurabh, S., Stepanov, A.A.: On two techniques of combining branching and treewidth, Algorithmica (2009, to appear). doi: 10.1007/s00453-007-9133-3
- 13.Kneis, J., Mölle, D., Richter, S., Rossmanith, P.: Algorithms based on the treewidth of sparse graphs. In: Revised Selected Papers from the 31st International Workshop on Graph-Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science (Metz, France, June 23–25, 2005). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 3787, pp. 385–396. Springer, Berlin (2005) Google Scholar
- 14.Knuth, D.E.: The Art of Computer Programming, Vol. 2: Seminumerical Algorithms, 3rd edn. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1997) Google Scholar
- 18.Yates, F.: The Design and Analysis of Factorial Experiments. Technical Communication 35, Commonwealth Bureau of Soils, Harpenden, U.K. (1937) Google Scholar