The Vlasov-Maxwell-Boltzmann system near Maxwellians
- 823 Downloads
Perhaps the most fundamental model for dynamics of dilute charged particles is described by the Vlasov-Maxwell-Boltzmann system, in which particles interact with themselves through collisions and with their self-consistent electromagnetic field. Despite its importance, no global in time solutions, weak or strong, have been constructed so far. It is shown in this article that any initially smooth, periodic small perturbation of a given global Maxwellian, which preserves the same mass, total momentum and reduced total energy (22), leads to a unique global in time classical solution for such a master system. The construction is based on a recent nonlinear energy method with a new a priori estimate for the dissipation: the linear collision operator L, not its time integration, is positive definite for any solutionf(t,x,v) with small amplitude to the Vlasov-Maxwell-Boltzmann system (8) and (12). As a by-product, such an estimate also yields an exponential decay for the simpler Vlasov-Poisson-Boltzmann system (24).
KeywordsTotal Energy Charged Particle Electromagnetic Field Time Integration Exponential Decay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cercignani, C.: The Boltzmann Equation and Its Application. Springer-Verlag 1988 Google Scholar
- 2.Cercignani, C., Illner, R., Pulvirenti, M.: The Mathematical Theory of Dilute Gases. Springer-Verlag 1994 Google Scholar
- 3.Chapman, S., Cowling, T.G.: The Mathematical Theory of Non-uniform Gases. Cambridge 1952 Google Scholar
- 4.Desvilletes, L., Dolbeault, J.: On long time asymptotics of the Vlasov-Poisson-Boltzmann equation. Commun. Partial Differ. Equations 16, 451–489 (1991) Google Scholar
- 5.Diperna, R., Lions, P.-L.: On the Cauchy problem for the Boltzmann equation: global existence and weak stability. Ann. Math. (2) 130, 321–366 (1989) Google Scholar
- 7.Lions, P.-L.: Global solutions of kinetic models and related equations. Nonequilibrium problems in many-particle systems. (Montecatini, 1992), 58–86. Lect. Notes Math. 1551. Berlin: Springer 1993 Google Scholar
- 8.Guo, Y.: The Vlasov-Poisson-Boltzmann system near Maxwellians. Commun. Pure Appl. Math., Vol. LV, 1104–1135 (2002) Google Scholar
- 10.Guo, Y.: Classical solutions to the Boltzmann equation for molecules with an angular cutoff. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal, in press (2003) Google Scholar
- 11.Glassey, R.: The Cauchy Problems in Kinetic Theory. SIAM 1996 Google Scholar
- 15.Ukai, S.: On the existence of global solutions of a mixed problem for the nonlinear Boltzmann equation. Proc. Japan Acad., Ser. A 53, 179–184 (1974)Google Scholar