On Spectral Polynomials of the Heun Equation. II
- 238 Downloads
The well-known Heun equation has the form
where Q(z) is a cubic complex polynomial, P(z) and V(z) are polynomials of degree at most 2 and 1 respectively. One of the classical problems about the Heun equation suggested by E. Heine and T. Stieltjes in the late 19th century is for a given positive integer n to find all possible polynomials V(z) such that the above equation has a polynomial solution S(z) of degree n. Below we prove a conjecture of the second author, see Shapiro and Tater (JAT 162:766–781, 2010) claiming that the union of the roots of such V(z)’s for a given n tends when n → ∞ to a certain compact connecting the three roots of Q(z) which is given by a condition that a certain natural abelian integral is real-valued, see Theorem 2. In particular, we prove several new results of independent interest about rational Strebel differentials.
KeywordsSingular Point Riemann Surface Positive Measure Quadratic Differential Real Measure
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Garnett, J.: Analytic capacity and measure. Lecture Notes in Mathematics. 297, Berlin-New York: Springer Verlag, 1972, iv+138 ppGoogle Scholar
- 5.Heine, E.: Handbuch der Kugelfunctionen. Vol. 1, Berlin: G. Reimer Verlag, 1878, pp. 472–479Google Scholar
- 6.Hörmander, L.: The analysis of linear partial differential operators. I. Distribution theory and Fourier analysis. Reprint of the second (1990) edition. Classics in Mathematics. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2003, x+440 ppGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kolmogorov, A.N., Fomin, S.V.: Introductory Real Analysis. Revised English edition. Translated from the Russian and edited by Richard A. Silverman, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1970, xii+403 ppGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ronveaux, A. (ed.): Heun’s differential equations. With contributions by F. M. Arscott, S. Yu. Slavyanov, D. Schmidt, G. Wolf, P. Maroni, A. Duval. Edited by A. Ronveaux. Oxford Science Publications. New York: The Clarendon Press, Oxford University Press, 1995, xxiv+354 ppGoogle Scholar
- 15.Saff, E.B., Totik, V.: Logarithmic potentials with external fields. Appendix B by Thomas Bloom. Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften [Fundamental Principles of Mathematical Sciences], 316. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1997, xvi+505 ppGoogle Scholar
- 19.Strebel, K.: Quadratic differentials. Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete, 5, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1984, xii+184 ppGoogle Scholar
- 21.Whittaker, E.T., Watson, G.: A course of modern analysis. An introduction to the general theory of infinite processes and of analytic functions with an account of the principal transcendental functions. Reprint of the 4th (1927) edition, Cambridge Mathematical Library, Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 1996, vi+608 ppGoogle Scholar
- 22.Zorich, A.: Flat surfaces. Frontiers in number theory, physics, and geometry. I, Berlin: Springer, 2006, pp. 437–583Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag 2012