The Causal Boundary of Spacetimes Revisited
- 76 Downloads
We present a new development of the causal boundary of spacetimes, originally introduced by Geroch, Kronheimer and Penrose. Given a strongly causal spacetime (or, more generally, a chronological set), we reconsider the GKP ideas to construct a family of completions with a chronology and topology extending the original ones. Many of these completions present undesirable features, like those which appeared in previous approaches by other authors. However, we show that all these deficiencies are due to the attachment of an “excessively big” boundary. In fact, a notion of “completion with minimal boundary” is then introduced in our family such that, when we restrict to these minimal completions, which always exist, all previous objections disappear. The optimal character of our construction is illustrated by a number of satisfactory properties and examples.
KeywordsIdeal Point Causal Structure Timelike Curve Minkowski Plane Conformal Boundary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alaña, V., Flores, J.L.: The causal boundary of product spacetimes. Gen. Relat. Grav., in press, DOI 10.1007/s10714-007-0492-5
- 2.Berenstein, D., Nastase, H.: On lightcone string field theory from super Yang-Mills and holography. http://arxiv.org/list/hep-th/0205048, 2002
- 6.Flores, J.L., Sánchez, M.: The causal boundary of wave-type spacetimes. Preprint (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Harris S.G. (2004). Boundaries on spacetimes: an outline. Contemp. Math. 359: 65–85 Google Scholar
- 21.O’Neill, B.: Semi-Riemannian Geometry with applications to Relativity, Series in Pure and Applied Math. 103, N.Y.: Academic Press, 1983Google Scholar
- 22.Penrose, R.: Conformal treatment of infinity. In: Relativity, Groups and Topology, edited by C.M. de Witt, B. de Witt, New York: Gordon and Breach, 1964; Penrose, R.: Zero rest-mass fields including gravitation: asymptotic behavior. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. A 284, 159–203 (1965)Google Scholar
- 23.Racz, I.: Causal boundary of space-times. Phys. Rev. D 36, 1673–1675 (1987): Racz, I.: Causal boundary for stably causal space-times. Gen. Relat. Grav. 20, 893–904 (1988)Google Scholar