Decay of Solutions of the Wave Equation in the Kerr Geometry
- 143 Downloads
We consider the Cauchy problem for the massless scalar wave equation in the Kerr geometry for smooth initial data compactly supported outside the event horizon. We prove that the solutions decay in time in L∞loc. The proof is based on a representation of the solution as an infinite sum over the angular momentum modes, each of which is an integral of the energy variable ω on the real line. This integral representation involves solutions of the radial and angular ODEs which arise in the separation of variables.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chandrasekhar, S.: The mathematical theory of black holes. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1983Google Scholar
- 3.De Alfaro, V., Regge, T.: Potential Scattering. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company, 1965Google Scholar
- 5.Finster, F., Kamran, N., Smoller, J., Yau, S.T.: An integral spectral representation of the propagator for the wave equation in the Kerr geometry, Commun. Math. Phys. 260, no.2, 257–298 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Finster, F., Schmid, H.: Spectral estimates and non-selfadjoint perturbations of spheroidal wave operators. http://atxiv.org/list/math-ph/0405010 to appear in Grelle's Journal (2006)
- 8.Press, W.H., Teukolsky, S.A.: Perturbations of a rotating black hole. II. Dynamical stability of the Kerr metric. Astrophys.J. 185, 649 (1973)Google Scholar
- 9.Price, R.H.: Nonspherical perturbations of relativistic gravitational collapse I, scalar and gravitational perturbations. Phys. Rev. D (3) 5, 2419–2438 (1972)Google Scholar
- 11.Regge, T., Wheeler, J.A.: Stability of the Schwarzschild singularity. Phys. Rev. (2) 108, 1063–1069 (1957)Google Scholar