Semiclassical Orthogonal Polynomials, Matrix Models and Isomonodromic Tau Functions
- 136 Downloads
The differential systems satisfied by orthogonal polynomials with arbitrary semiclassical measures supported on contours in the complex plane are derived, as well as the compatible systems of deformation equations obtained from varying such measures. These are shown to preserve the generalized monodromy of the associated rank-2 rational covariant derivative operators. The corresponding matrix models, consisting of unitarily diagonalizable matrices with spectra supported on these contours are analyzed, and it is shown that all coefficients of the associated spectral curves are given by logarithmic derivatives of the partition function or, more generally, the gap probabilities. The associated isomonodromic tau functions are shown to coincide, within an explicitly computed factor, with these partition functions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Bertola, M., Harnad, J., Hurtubise, J., Pusztai, G.: R-matrix approach to the general rational isomonodromic deformation equations.Google Scholar
- 7.Chihara, T.S.: An introduction to orthogonal polynomials. Mathematics and its Applications, Vol. 13, New York-London-Paris: Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, (1978)Google Scholar
- 10.Its, A.R., Kitaev, A.V., Fokas, A.S.: An isomonodromic Approach in the Theory of Two-Dimensional Quantum Gravity. Usp. Matem. Nauk 45, 6 (276), 135–136 (1990), (Russian), translation in Russ. Math.Surv. 45(6), 155–157 (1990)Google Scholar
- 13.Ismail, M.E.H., Chen, Y.: Ladder operators and differential equations for orthogonal polynomials. J. Phys. A. 30, 7818–7829 (1997)Google Scholar
- 14.Marcellán, F., Rocha, I. A. Complex Path Integral Representation for Semiclassical Linear Functionals. J. Appr. Theory 94, 107–127 (1998)Google Scholar
- 18.van Moerbeke, P.: Integrable lattices: random matrices and random permutations. In: Random matrix models and their applications , Math. Sci. Res. Inst. Publ. 40, Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, pp. 321–406 (2001)Google Scholar