Glauber theory of initial- and final-state interactions in (p, 2p) scattering
We develop the Glauber theory description of initial- and final-state interactions (IFSI) in quasielastic A(p, 2p) scattering. We study the IFSI-distortion effects both for the inclusive and exclusive conditions. In inclusive reaction the important new effect is an interaction between the two sets of the trajectories which enter the calculation of IFSI-distorted one-body density matrix for inclusive (p, 2p) scattering and are connected with incoherent elastic rescat-terings of the initial and final protons on spectator nucleons. We demonstrate that IFSI-distortions of the missing momentum distribution are large over the whole range of missing momentum both for inclusive and exclusive reactions and affect in a crucial way the interpretation of the BNL data on (p, 2p) scattering. Our numerical results show that in the region of missing momentum pm ≲ 100–150 MeV/c the in-coherent IFSI increase nuclear transparency by 5–10%. The incoherent IFSI become dominant at pm ≳ 200 MeV/c.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.H.Mueller, in: Proceedings of the XVII Rencontre de Moriond, Les Arcs, France. Ed. Tranh Thanh Van, Editions Frontieres, Gif-sur-Yvette, 1982, p.13.Google Scholar
- 2.S.J. Brodsky, in: Proceedings of the XIII International Symposium on Multiparticle Dynamics, Volendam, Netherlands. Eds. E.W. Kittel, W. Metzger and A. Stergion, World Scientific, Singapore, 1982, p. 963.Google Scholar
- 3.R.J. Glauber, in: Lectures in Theoretical Physics, v.1, ed. W. Brittain and L.G. Dunham. Interscience Publ., N.Y., 1959; R.J.Glauber and G.Matthiae, Nucl. Phys. B21 (1970) 135.Google Scholar
- 10.N.N.Nikolaev, J.Speth, B.G.Zakharov, Jülich preprint KFA-IKP(Th)-1995-01, January 1995, submitted to Nucl. Phys. A.Google Scholar
- 11.J.Nemchik, N.N.Nikolaev and B.G.Zakharov, Proceedings of the Workshop on CEBAF at Higher Energies, CEBAF, April 14–16, 1994, Editors: Nathan Isgur and Paul Stoler, pp. 415–464.Google Scholar
- 12.O.Benhar, S.Fantoni, N.N.Nikolaev, J.Speth, A.A.Usmani and B.G.Zakharov, submitted to Z. Phys. A.Google Scholar
- 16.A.Bianconi, S.Jeschonnek, N.N.Nikolaev and B.G.Zakharov, Jülich preprint KFA-IKP(Th)-1995-13, March 1995, submitted to Nucl. Phys. A.Google Scholar
- 20.O. Benhar, C. Ciofi Degli Atti, S. Liuti and G. Salme, Phys. Lett.B177 (1986) 135.Google Scholar