Cytoprotective effect of fucoxanthin isolated from brown algae Sargassum siliquastrum against H2O2-induced cell damage
- 1.1k Downloads
In this study, the cytoprotective effect of fucoxanthin, which was isolated from Sargassum siliquastrum, against oxidative stress induced DNA damage was investigated. Fucoxanthin, a kind of carotenoid, was pretreated to the medium and the protective effect was evaluated via 2′,7′-dichlorodihydrofluorescein diacetate, 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide, and comet assays. Intracellular reactive oxygen species were over produced by addition of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), but the production was significantly reduced by the treatment with fucoxanthin. The fucoxanthin strongly enhanced cell viability against H2O2 induced oxidative damage and the inhibitory effect of cell damage was a dose-dependent manner. Furthermore, a protective effect against oxidative stress-induced cell apoptosis was also demonstrated via nuclear staining with Hoechst dye. These results clearly indicate that fucoxanthin isolated from S. siliquastrum possesses prominent antioxidant activity against H2O2-mediated cell damage and which might be a potential therapeutic agent for treating or preventing several diseases implicated with oxidative stress.
KeywordsFucoxanthin Sargassum siliquastrum Cell damage Oxidative stress Reactive oxygen species
This research was supported by a grant (M-2007-03) from the Marine Bioprocess Research Center of the Marine Bio 21 Center, funded by Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries, Republic of Korea.
- 7.Hosokawa M, Kudo M, Maeda H, Kohno H, Tanaka T, Miyashita K (2004) Biochim Biophys Acta 1675:113–119Google Scholar
- 8.Maeda H, Hosokawa M, Sashima T, Funayama K, Miyashita K (2005) Biochem Biophys Res Commun 332:392–397Google Scholar
- 12.Singh NP (2000) Mutat Res 455:111–127Google Scholar
- 15.Lee SE, Ju EM, Kim JH (2002) Exp Mol Med 34:100–106Google Scholar
- 18.Satoh T, Sakai N, Enokido Y, Uchiyama Y, Hatanaka H (1996) J Biochem 120:540–546Google Scholar
- 27.Kim SH, Choi DS, Athucorala Y, Jeon YJ, Senevirathne M, Rha CK (2007) Int J Food Sci Nutr 12:65–73Google Scholar