Analytical characterization and the impact of ageing on anthocyanin composition and degradation in juices from five sour cherry cultivars
- 737 Downloads
Five different sour cherry cultivars were processed to sour cherry juices in order to analyze their composition and the impact of storage on anthocyanin composition. Regarding primary juice parameters all cultivars showed high dry masses (13.8–17.2° Brix) and sugar free extracts (59.4–74.3 g/L). Anthocyanins were identified as cyanidin-3-(2G-glucosylrutinoside), cyanidin-3-(2G-xylosylrutinoside), cyanidin-3-sophoroside, cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidin-3-rutinoside, and peonidin-3-rutinoside. Besides the original anthocyanins, 5-carboxypyrano-anthocyanins occurred as new reaction products during storage. HPLC-MSn experiments revealed, that a further ageing pigment was probably resulting from the reaction of an original anthocyanin with acetaldehyde. A significant decline of the original anthocyanin concentrations could be observed (70–75%) during 6 months of storage at 20 °C. Degradation kinetics of anthocyanins were calculated taking the reaction rate as first order. Colourless polyphenol concentrations and antioxidant capacities (TEAC) of the juices were not affected during storage.
KeywordsAnthocyanins Fruit juice Polyphenols Sour cherry Storage
This research project (AiF-Project No. 13587 N) was supported by the FEI (Forschungskreis der Ernährungsindustrie e.V., Bonn), the AiF and the Ministry of Economics and Technology.
- 2.Watzl B, Rechkemmer G (2001) Ernährungsumschau 48:499–503Google Scholar
- 4.Will F, Hilsendegen P, Bonerz D, Patz CD, Dietrich H (2005) J Appl Bot Food Qual 79:12–16Google Scholar
- 5.Will F, Dietrich H (2005) Eur Food Res Technol, DOI: 10.1007/s00217-005-0222-8Google Scholar
- 6.Zimmer E, Patz CD, Dietrich H (1992) Wein-Wissenschaft 47:121–128Google Scholar
- 8.Singleton VL, Rossi JA (1965) Am J Enol Vitic 37:144–158Google Scholar
- 9.Will F, Banaszczyk J, Plocharski W, Dietrich H (2000) Obst-, Gemüse- Kartoffelverarbeitung 85:238–241Google Scholar
- 10.Herrmann K (1996) Ind Obst- Gemüseverw 81:121–129Google Scholar
- 12.Harborne JB, Baxter H (1999) Handbook of natural Flavonoids, vol 2. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 13.Hädrich J, Vogelsang J (1999) Dtsch Lebensm Rundsch 95:428–436Google Scholar
- 15.Hillebrand S (2004) Analytik von Polyphenolen in Buntsäften im Hinblick auf Saftqualität, Farbe und antioxidative Aktivität. Dissertation, University of Braunschweig, Cuvillier, GöttingenGoogle Scholar
- 26.Boulton R (2001) Am J Enol Vitic 52:67–87Google Scholar